Pier and Surf Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
P

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all,

I'm thinking about preparing for this fall striper season and making a couple of trips to Montauk. Part of my preparation is having a good supply of white bucktail jigs since I lost a lot on snags the last time I went.

I want to attempt making my own, but I need the supplies, parts, and pieces to start. The unpainted jigheads ( specifica"lly the cape cod canal" style or the big eye style) are hard to find. Does anyone know of an online supplier or B&T supplier in the MD/VA area that has 'em?

P

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
I don't have the facilities to pour, nor am I really inclined to be futzing around with dangerous, messy, hot liquid lead. I'm just interested in buying unpainted jigheads.

·
Registered
2,242 Posts
Try Terminal Tackle

I bought some stuff from terminal tackle. I picked up some lead head jigs. I also got some of the stick on eyes and some jig paint from Bass pro.

Going to give it a shot in painting my own and sticking on these big a$$ eyes. Will see. They also sell the horse hair for bucktails, but I am not sure how to attach it, so that will be a later task. But I imagine that it cant be too hard to do.

Let me know how this works out for you. I have lost all to many bucktails at IRI so I feel the pain of loosing jigs, especially when they are the hot lure.

Jeff

P

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Jeff,

Is terminal tackle a place in the DC area or is it online? Can you provide a link, address, or phone number please?

Also, the hair you will tie on with thread and a little glue as fit. It's easy; it's like tying fly's if you've done that before.

I seen some of the paint in the Bass Pro catalog last night. I'll go there or to some crafts store. I'm glad that BP has them big eyes; that's what I been thinking about doing rather than painting them on.

THese jigs are pretty expensive at $3.50 a pop when they are lost regularly.

·
Registered
207 Posts
the tie the bucktail hair on, get yourself a fly tyers vice and some of the basic supplies... makes the job much easier with the right tools

P

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Triggerfish,

That link isn't working.

Jig,

I got your PM. I'll send you a couple pictures of what I'm talking about a little later today.

·
Registered
2,242 Posts
Sick on eyes

I orderd 2 sheets of stick on eyes from terminal tackle. I put these on my unpainted leadheads as well as some of the diamond jigs.

I picked up some lead heads that were 3 for a dollar. with the stickers an a piece of plastic, figure these cost about $.50 each, if that.

Sure beats loosing a $3 gotcha or a $2 storm.

Now I just have to see if they catch fish. :D

·
Registered
71 Posts
Bucktails

Tochterman's tackle in baltimore has every DoIt brand mold in stock and everything else you will need for this project. give them a call 410-327-6942 fax 410-522-4237 1-888-327-7744. or stop by 1925 eastern ave. balto.md 21231 this is the country's oldest family owned tackle shop 89 years now. :)

1 - 15 of 15 Posts