Pier and Surf Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
395 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Last year was my 1st year and the learning curve was pretty decent. I definitely have a long way to go, but it doesn't look like I'm going to get to fish a lot like last year. I did go out once this year and caught my 1st snakehead. That was really cool.

Anyway, I put some thought into things that I'd like to put on the yak and 1 is definitely a fish finder. Eyeballed a couple at the end of the season, but don't think I'm going to make that kind of investment knowing that I probably won't fish a lot.

I have a few trolling motors and if it weren't for the lack of space, I would have already mounted one for returning from longer distances. My yak has one small, non waterproof, 6" portal on the back :-(

My major need is some kind of bumper guard. To be a year old, eventhough it was fished pretty hard, my yak has some major nose rash...mostly from the concrete ships and bridge pilons. I also had to drag it a few times because my wheel setup sucked in soft sand (hell, period). Have any of your guys purchased or come up with a solution for saving the nose or bottom of your kayaks? I'm thinking to procure rubber trim (like off of a car...1" wide) and put it on. What do you think?

My inventive side has been coming up with an alternative to the wack assed 2 wheel dolly I have. My scupper holes are kinda forward and small on the HD2...I'm not sure if it would benefit me to build a cart system that goes in the holes?

I did buy additional track and camera mounting stuff. That will go on.

Lastly, I'm thinking of changing to a larger rudder. Sometimes my kayak feel like...no, it turns easier in one direction than it will in the opposite. A few times, I've had to go the complete opposite direction just to be able to turn around. I think the rudder would work.

·
Registered
766 Posts
On my kayak I mounted small boat cleats that I can run the straps through to keep the kayak dolly under the kayak. Also, on my fish finder, I learned to keep a small medicine bottle with white grease. When I get finished fishing I apply the grease to all the power plug prongs to keep them from corroding. And to the female plugs on the back of the fish finder. Here’s what I mounted on mine for the fish finder.

·
Registered
37 Posts
I've been fishing an Accend 12T for about 8 years. A bit heavy, but love the room, width and storage. My seat is elevated and swivels, which is nice. I added a fish finder almost immediately. Mine is mounted right to the deck and i can see it perfectly. I use a waterproof box in the forward (nose) storage area for the battery. I drilled a small hole in the box to run wires into the box, then sealed it up with silicone/goop. My transducer is 'thru hull' and works great. I use a Garmin unit that was around $100 off Amazon. I do agree with the comment above about protecting your terminals. Even though i always fresh water rinse when done fishing, its hard to avoid getting rusty contacts unless everything is stainless. I haven't done many other upgrades (i don't care to record myself). My next upgrade will be a better anchor trolley system. Mine is getting a little tough to pull and i do like being able to position my anchor where i want it. I don't always anchor, but nice to use if the drift is fast or i want to stay on structure. Enjoy!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts