Pier and Surf Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
618 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, everybody said “Don’t buy a 15ft Ugly Stik.”

Well I got one and I liked it until I learned how to throw a conventional and bought some fairly good equipment.

Now I have this huge piece of xxxx that no one in my crew even wants to pick up and reel in let alone try to cast.
But as fisherman, we are always looking for the good in something………..didn’t catch anything we don’t have to clean any fish, a bad day of fishing is better than the best day at work………………………………….

I’m looking at this way too long ugly stick and it looks like the top end is not the problem.
It’s a 50-50 split so the top and bottom are both almost 8ft. The top of my 70-30 Star Stellar is almost 8ft. Just the slightest modification and I could put the top of the Ugly Stik on the butt of the Stellar.

My question to you rod building fellas is: What if I cut the 3ft off the butt of the 15ft Ugly Stik? Took off that first huge guide and got a smaller reel seat. Then I suppose make a wicked gaff out of the 3 ft butt section.

That was my hypothetical question, the real question is: How do I do this?
I could just get rid of the rod and buy a real 12ft spinner but the thought of making something good out of something that didn’t work well is the fisherman’s way of looking at it.
DAN

·
Registered
1,069 Posts
Be a lot of work.

Will probably end up like most of my Ugly Sticks (except the ones used for live bait and catfishing, they are fine for that): Used heavily after purchasing at a time when Ugly Stick was THE fishing rod, then slowly phased out and left to collect dust as my understanding of what makes a good fishing rod improved. For some reason, I can't bring myself to sell the damn things.

·
Registered
2,617 Posts
Ok, everybody said “Don’t buy a 15ft Ugly Stik.”

Well I got one and I liked it until I learned how to throw a conventional and bought some fairly good equipment.

Now I have this huge piece of xxxx that no one in my crew even wants to pick up and reel in let alone try to cast.
But as fisherman, we are always looking for the good in something………..didn’t catch anything we don’t have to clean any fish, a bad day of fishing is better than the best day at work………………………………….

I’m looking at this way too long ugly stick and it looks like the top end is not the problem.
It’s a 50-50 split so the top and bottom are both almost 8ft. The top of my 70-30 Star Stellar is almost 8ft. Just the slightest modification and I could put the top of the Ugly Stik on the butt of the Stellar.

My question to you rod building fellas is: What if I cut the 3ft off the butt of the 15ft Ugly Stik? Took off that first huge guide and got a smaller reel seat. Then I suppose make a wicked gaff out of the 3 ft butt section.

That was my hypothetical question, the real question is: How do I do this?
I could just get rid of the rod and buy a real 12ft spinner but the thought of making something good out of something that didn’t work well is the fisherman’s way of looking at it.
DAN
Give it away to the less fortunate, or take all the guides off of it and make it a cane pole for sticking a bait into brush piles.

I heard of a fishing technique wherein a long cane pole is used with a short 50 pound test line and a large hook festooned with 10-12 night crawlers. The ball of night crawlers is stuck into the brush piles and largemouth bass are hoisted out of their dark lair with the cane pole:)

·
Banned
2,922 Posts
I bought a 15ft Ugly Stick, back in the 1990's, and I regretted it until I did some "modding". The upper section is 82.5" long on the one I have.

(1) Strip the entire rod. ( Guides, Grips, Seat )

(2) Insert the Butt into the Upper section and cut the Butt, so the exposed is 38" long when joined.

(3) Use the Reel Seat and Grip Material of your choice and build the Handle section ( Leave at least a 1/2" gap between the upper end of the Foregrip and the Upper section, when joined ).

(4) Wrap the Upper section as a conventional (in my case) or as a Spinner.

You now have a "bulletproof" (damn near indestructible) Pier/Jetty/Catfish rod that can really take a beating without having to "baby" it . . . Mine came out at an assembled length of 120.5" . . .

Tight Lines !!!

·
Registered
1,466 Posts
You have a nice outrigger for a boat.

Plenty of 15ft rods are used here in South Carolina on piers to handle the long 8-10 gold hook rigs used for spanish by most here.
Take that bad boy to the pier and jig up 4 spanish on one pump and watch the locals get mad

·
Registered
618 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I like the cane pole idea.

I think if I cut this thing down to 11 or 12 foot it would be a really useful rod. Might even be a bad a** rod.

I like the idea of giving it away. My daughter is single. She might get some big old dumb son-in-law for me that will think he is man enough to throw the thing. I'll throw in the reel and breakaway cannon for free.

I really like the Spanish jigging rod with the straw rig on it.

Thanks everybody. I know how to work on a tractor not a fishing rod.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts