Pier and Surf Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
323 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Major Changes Enacted To The Citation Program

I attended the meeting tonight along with about 30 other concerned fisher people. The big item of going to length only citations for all species was defeated on a unanimous vote. The award for the largest fish of the year for each species will return. The awards ceremony for expert and master angler will return.

There were some major changes made to the program. These changes will be effective for the 2004 fishing season.

1 - Several species had their release length raised.

Cobia 50"
Striped Bass 44"
Spadefish 22"
Tautog 23"
Black Drum 46"
Red Drum 46"
Tarpon 48" est.
Amberjack 50"

2 - Several species had their min. weight raised.

Cobia 55 lbs.
Wahoo 35 lbs.
Dolphin 25 lbs.
Sheepshead 7 lbs.
Black Drum 80 lbs.

3 - All species are now eligible for a release citation. The new species are as follows:

Wahoo 50" est.
Dolphin 46"
King Mack 44" est.
Flounder 26"
Sheepshead 21"
Seabass 22"
Spanish Mack 26"
Triggerfish 20"
Croaker 20"
Kingfish 16"
Spot 13"

4 - Solo anglers may now register a release citation without a witness as long as they have a picture of the fish laying on a measuring device. The pic must accompany the citation form.

·
Registered
8,022 Posts
Rob thanks for th heads up.

4 - Solo anglers may now register a release citation without a witness as long as they have a picture of the fish laying on a measuring device. The pic must accompany the citation form.
Cool. :cool:

·
Registered
4,211 Posts
hmmmmmmmmmm

I can see it now.............
hey buddy, can I borrow your fish after you've taken a picture. I'd like to get a shot of it too!

Don't know bout this particular change. It'll just have to be a matter of honesty.

·
Registered
34 Posts
You and a buddy could lie before #4 was enacted. Heck two dishonest guys could have had all kinds of releases before #4. Then there's the old stuff some some lead in the gullet, so it makes weight citation. The only people this hurts are the ones who do it.

·
Registered
8,022 Posts
I was thinking #4 is great for someone like me who fishes alone alot of th time.Just lay it on th cooler snap a photo an release it. Also with more release citations more people are likely to release a fish they would have killed before. As far as anyone cheating, I couldn't get any joy out of looking at a sheet of paper that I knew I didn't catch. I feel sorry for someone that could. :(

·
Registered
4,211 Posts
Point taken Cdog

A good opportunity for those who have had undocumented citations.
Personally, I'd rather have someone along for verification. A partner in fishing, not in crime.

Now pardon me while I call my broker. Just got a hot tip on Kodak stock. It's bound to be on the rise.:cool:

·
Registered
8,022 Posts
Re: Point taken Cdog

Thrifty Angler said:
Now pardon me while I call my broker. Just got a hot tip on Kodak stock. It's bound to be on the rise.:cool:
LOL Welcome back Thrifty. :D

·
Registered
6 Posts
Personally I have no problem with the release citation if you are alone. First of all if you cheat you will have to live with yourself throughout life knowing that it never occurred. Then one day you will have to stand before God and answer the same question. People that would actually do such a thing shouldn't even fish then. Pretty sad for anyone to even think about doing something like that. If you have a legitimate citation the certificate is to remember the experience. What are you gonna do look at the certificate and remember that it shouldn't be there on your wall?

·
Registered
3,744 Posts
Yeah I have same feeling toward that but you know somebody will end up cheating and like you said they will have to look at it and know it is fake. I personnally like the changes and thanks Rob for keeping us abreast of the situation.

·
Registered
515 Posts
Hooray for the release citation for flounder being added to the list at 26".

That's one that they struggled with last year, and I never quite understood why ... especially when they were trying hard to cut down on creel amounts and establish a stronger population, presumably through stronger breeding stocks, led by these Big Citation Sized Females that kept getting culled from the stock.

Anyway, I guess, like Speckled Trout, Snook, Red Drum, and Cobia, the art of releasing a 26"+ flounder will take some time to take hold. Rememember though, all those fish are good to eat, but now most anglers throw the larger ones of each species back.

Who will be the first to register a release citation on a 26"+ flounder?

THROW MORE BIG ONES BACK ... YOU CAN GET A CITATION NOW

Jake Ace

1 - 12 of 12 Posts