Pier and Surf Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
New to the forum , only found y'all by researching info about a couple Magnuflex Moon Shot Series rods i discovered digging around in the shop , #2150 ,12 footers basically heavers I picked up in Nags Head about 25+/- years ago , thinking about re-wrapping and re guiding them , can anyone tell me more about them ?
Wood Font Publication Tints and shades Metal
Wood Font Publication Tints and shades Metal

·
Registered
2,804 Posts
At one time they were used a lot on the OBX.

My first Heaver was a Magnuflex. A lot of folks my age had a Magnuflex. It was cheaper than a Fenwick or Lamiglass

Back in the early 80's they were decent casting sticks, but when the Fenwick SurfStik came along, my Magnuflex was left in the dust.

Compared to today's heavers they might end up on the wrong side of the bar, but if paired with a super tuned reel they might be just fine.

The factory rods came with lower end carbaloy type guides and a thin lower end aluminum reel seat.

I am pretty sure my Factory rod was 10', Magnuflex called it the Hatteras Heaver, it had a cork tape grip.

I removed the reel seat and painted it black re-wrapped it. Removing the reel seat took some of the stiffness from it.

Left it behind an ex-girl friends couch 23 years ago, perhaps someone is using it or perhaps it is still behind the couch.

I caught some nice fish pin rigging with it. But when I started seriously fishing for Drum I was using Fenwick's or Lamis.

I never saw any bare Magnuflex blanks back then, pretty cool.......

·
Registered
419 Posts
I had an ABU 10000C on mine, it was plenty bad ass on Nags Head Pier back in the Day.

Now you got me wanting your old blanks..........
Life is strange. When ya get old you yearn for things of your past. In my case its old motorcycles, guns or cars..........and I need any of them like another hole in the head. I think I would like to have a couple more of the old RS 1508's since I am thinking about it.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·

My first Heaver was a Magnuflex. A lot of folks my age had a Magnuflex. It was cheaper than a Fenwick or Lamiglass

Back in the early 80's they were decent casting sticks, but when the Fenwick SurfStik came along, my Magnuflex was left in the dust.

Compared to today's heavers they might end up on the wrong side of the bar, but if paired with a super tuned reel they might be just fine.

The factory rods came with lower end carbaloy type guides and a thin lower end aluminum reel seat.

I am pretty sure my Factory rod was 10', Magnuflex called it the Hatteras Heaver, it had a cork tape grip.

I removed the reel seat and painted it black re-wrapped it. Removing the reel seat took some of the stiffness from it.

Left it behind an ex-girl friends couch 23 years ago, perhaps someone is using it or perhaps it is still behind the couch.

I caught some nice fish pin rigging with it. But when I started seriously fishing for Drum I was using Fenwick's or Lamis.

Thanks for the reply , I thinking that I'm gonna try to get one in shape and see what happens , we're using the Penn Battalion 2 now and they're actually getting it done , but there's nothing wrong with a rod for heaving sputniks lol

·
Registered
1 Posts

Are you sure about this please inform me
https://www.pierandsurf.com/threads/magnuflex-greece powerball results-moon-shot-series.165187/

1 - 8 of 8 Posts