Pier and Surf Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Gentlemen,

I have a Penn Jigmaster 500 that I am thinking of magging, the only problem is that I have no idea how to do this or whether it is a worthwhile endeavor. Can any of you gentlemen point me in the right direction and/or post info on how to do this?
I'm also considering the purchase of a new rod and have two different brands in my sights. Tsunami rods and Tica rods. Which is preferable? I'm leaning more towards the Tica, but wanted to gather some opinions first.

Thanks!!!

Steve

·
Registered
337 Posts
Hi Steve,

Don't know if this is what you where looking for but
http://www.surf-masters.com/articles/devine/mag/mag.htm

I too have a 500L that I am going to be doing this with. I will post the results when I finish. (i know this is not the same reel, but I believe you got the instruction manual with teh reel when you bought it and it is very detailed on the decriptions and workings of the internal components.)

todd

·
Registered
194 Posts
I could actually contribute to this post. LOL

I did the mag conversion for the jigmaster (and squidder) and it was easy and definately worth it (esp. if you've got a toe for a thumb like me. ;))

First do a search for "magging a jigmaster" on google. It should return you a few results. I'm at work right now so I don't have the link for the directions I used. If you can't find it, post it and I'll look it up when I get home.

All you need is epoxy, some mags, and washers. 3 things for no more backlashes. Wonderful stuff.

·
Registered
337 Posts
a little more info...

the guy wrote in the article that he may go with 1/4" magnets on the jigmaster, but later he actually stayed with 3/8" ones. use at least 3-4 magnets. five in really nessassary. (like I said, I have not done it yet, but I am going to.) good luck.

todd

·
Registered
681 Posts
rod

I have both the 12 foot Tica and the Tsunami. I like the Solaris a lot better it loads a lot easier. I guess the answer would really depend on what you will be targeting with the rod.

·
Registered
194 Posts
I think I remember hearing about Tica breaking, but I haven't heard one post yet about tsunami's breaking. So I bought a tsunami. So far, so good. I use it for throwing meat at stripers.

good luck!

·
Registered
337 Posts
magging the jigmaster because I have it now. I dont' have the 980. I see your point, but already having this one, my wife would killlllllllllll me if I bought "another" reel. To her, I have too many now.

todd

·
Registered
194 Posts
fisher,

There is no "kit" that you can buy. What you have to do is buy the magnets, washers and epoxy (if you don't have any). Then it really is simple. If you can glue a piece of metal to plastic, you're done!

Click on the links I posted. It contains the info on where to buy the neccessary parts. I believe it tells you actual parts numbers too.

If you still have any questions, post it here. ;) Good luck!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.