Pier and Surf Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
272 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
has anyone magged thier reel and fished with it
rather than strictly used for distance casting .
anybody have pros and cons to fishing with or
without them magged ?

·
Registered
27 Posts
Of course I may be a little partial, but I designed the mag conversion (the one with the clicker that is) specifically for the fishing crowd. I don't tournament cast and designed this specifically to help me catch more fish. Now the other non-clicker version has been used for tournament type casting, but it too was originally designed for fishing. I welcome any and all feedback. Test me, my skin is very thick.

Tommy Wheeler
Wheel's Reels

·
Registered
262 Posts
Magged: Yes or No?

Indio, Is the weather the same every time that you go fishing? Is the wind in your face or behind you? Is it daylight or night-time? Is it raining? Are you fishing with a bunch of people or are you by yourself? A mag reel gives you more control no matter what the conditions are. Daytime and by yourself; let your reel fly. Night-time and/or raining, and with a bunch of people; then put some mags on. Mag reels are also a good way to learn how to throw conventional, and then back off the mags as you get better. I believe that a magged reel is a user friendly reel. I see that they are making a mag conversion for the Daiwa's and I need to get one. Just my .02 Larry. :)

·
Registered
272 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
thanks larry,

have'nt talk to you since casting with you at kennilworth.
hope the family is doing fine. i'm going down to
hatteras next week and i'm thinking of getting the side plate for
the 20 shv my wife bought for my b day.i,ve been casting with it using the red blocks , it seems to slow the reel down enough to get better control but i seem to lose distance . i really want to use it for fishing but dont know if i should spend the extra dough on it .i 'm alway's reading about the 525 mag and how easy it's to control. now i'm thinking about converting the daiwa to mags. this is an expensive hobby lately.

see you on the field soon

thanks.

·
Registered
272 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
hey tom thanks for your reply.

did'nt mean to overlook . i more than likely will get the conversion.
(if i dont spend all my money before i get down to hatteras.) i will let you know . i hear the fishing report from down there doesn't
sound to good do to the cold water condition. i'll make the best of it.

nevertheless thanks again. :)

·
Registered
273 Posts
Dwight
The conversion for the shv that Tommy created is by far the best conversion I've seen for any reel and at a price that is right. Fished with 20 last fall and winter and it never failed. In the cold and dark the last thing you need is a backlash. Get the conversion W/ clicker. You will love it.
bob

Tommy
Heard about the boat trip. Glad to hear you guys all came out of that ok. See you this fall.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts