Pier and Surf Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey p&s I am looking for a mag kit that will fit a Abu 6500 c3 I am trying to finish customizing this thing and all I need now is a mag braking system. I have taken the levelwind and gears out and had a solid bar made to sit where the levelwind was. I know people change the side plates ,cage and do other mods to these I just want keep it as original as possible. I have upgraded the bearings and can get it to free spin for over 2 minutes Now I just need brakes for control. Any mag options for this reel?

·
Registered
403 Posts
blakdogtackle
don't use blakdogtackle. I bought one set from blakdog and one from PMR ( pimpmyreel ) off ebay and he uses a youtube channel to promote himself.

Both will come from overseas, so shipping kills. Also blakdogtackle uses a very tiny magnet, and the way it is put onto the magnet holder is terrible. Its just a wad of rubber cement or something. PMR uses much better materials, and the magnet holder has a better design. The magnet is encapsulated fully and he can fit in much bigger magnet.

so i would go check out his youtube channel.

Another thing, if you look at the Abu mags and the penn 525 mags. Instead of 1 magnet. its a bunch of small ones that makes a third of a circle. This way you can still use the clicker.

I have no idea what they are called. but its what Akios, and Chief use. I think its called Muto??? Chief is basically some asian knock off abu/akios. But i wish i could just grab a 100 of those mag systems.

There is a guy in ohio that sells these things. And i think a guy in frederiksburg works on custom reels as well. The one is fredericksburg is ReelKustomReels.

Also, idk if Abu mike is still alive or comes on this forum anymore, but if you search for blue yonder mag. Way back another guy was looking for a magnet system and abu mike hooked him up.

If you want to take a mono mag system, and drill a hole through the sideplate. Most of the time you will have to bend your clicker ring, that is the only way to use both the magnet and clicker. Ive seen a sl30sh done by hatteras jack.

Its a little ugly, a lot of grey cement or epoxy or something. Since its drilled into a non flat surface, and the magnet was thin and small and basically stuck onto a flathead screw. So seemed a little ghetto than the others. But probably the most economic and practical way to go.

·
Registered
505 Posts
I have no idea what they are called. but its what Akios, and Chief use. I think its called Muto??? Chief is basically some asian knock off abu/akios. But i wish i could just grab a 100 of those mag systems.
Muto ??? Do you mean Omoto? Omoto manufactures several reels from fly to spinning to bait casting and trolling. That includes the Omoto Chief and Akios.
Omoto does hold the patent on the carriage style mag systems they manufacture. 100 mag assemblies ?

Mastercaster,

Since the Omoto side plate bolt patterns do not match the ABU reels, some minor modifications would need to be done to the mag assembly. (This assumes your ABU has flat side plates.) If you search the site, there should be pictures of a conversion done by ABU Mike.

·
Registered
5,354 Posts
The Akios/Omoto mags can be bought in the US and they are very inexpensive and work with very little modification.

·
Registered
505 Posts
where in the US can we buy spare omoto parts?
I am the sole distributor for the Omoto Chief reels in the US. I am also a distributor for the other Omoto models. You can find our website by doing a google search on Dons Tackle Hawaii. There is another Dons Tackle in Virginia. We are not affiliated.

We stock most parts to support the Chief 6000 and 7000 size reels. Parts for other Omoto reels can be brought in with our other purchases.

·
Registered
140 Posts
I have a few mono mags left. Look at my photo album and you can see them installed. Materials are aluminum and stainless. I made these a few years back.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Also blakdogtackle uses a very tiny magnet, and the way it is put onto the magnet holder is terrible. Its just a wad of rubber cement or something.
For info we take a lot of time and thought on the size of magnets we use .. contrary to what some will have you believe you really don't need a magnet the size of a £1 coin in there to stop most spools so long as you have it in the right place - anything bigger than a 6x5 n42 will smother most casting reels to the point of seriously reducing their performance. The "rubber cement" you mention is actually industrial hot melt glue (which is far from cheap) and that is again used deliberately because you can easily heat it up and remove the mag to fit either a smaller or larger one. The price paid is that occasionally a magnet comes adrift in transit but it's very unusual for them to come free when fitted.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts