Pier and Surf Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
With some practice and a lot of help from LongRanger, I was able to toss a 5oz weight approx. 400 feet yesterday at the Capital Longcasters Casting Lessons at Kennilworth Park using the Brighton Cast. I never thought I'd be able to cast that far and that straight. Time to work on the off-the-ground cast and go for 450!

What was more impressive was that my 13 year old son (who unlike his father is a natural born athlete) cast 300 feet on his first day casting, with a 9 foot spinning rod. As I told the guys and gals there, I now have visions of sitting there at water's edge in my lawn chair and letting him do all the work while I reel in the big ones! :D

Even better were the casts of LarryB and Aero. Larry was throwing the pendulum cast 600 feet plus. Always a pleasure to watch. The remedial group is going to need a new leader very soon. Anthony was really casting them out there, even under the pressure of having to perform for his fan club. ;)

·
Registered
35 Posts
I've been practing at home and able to consistantly get over 350 feet using a baseball off the ground. Have tried arielized with same results. Have broken two well used shock leaders, ball travels well over 400 feet along with major birdsnests. Improving comes with practice. Go get 450 while I work on 400!

·
Registered
223 Posts
Need to add a team event....

You looked great out there yesterday Rocknwine. And your son... that was his first time? Holy cow! That's scary.

Just last week I was struggling to get to 250' and now under the instruction of James & Co. with the help of our Remedial Group leadership, I'm coming up on 400'.

With the steady progress we're all making since Delaware, we may have to petition to add team events to the competitions...!

jedi

·
Registered
681 Posts
rocknwine

Rocknwine,

I have a long way to go. Hopefully I'll follow in Ralph's aka Sir BackCaster foot steps and graduate soon. Even after graduation, I'll still be the director :D . The fight between the light and the dark will rage on.
I was very impressed with both you and your son.

·
Registered
797 Posts
new leadership...

rocknwine, gravedigger and jedi-angler; you guys sound inspired and i am diggin it. the capital longcasters are doing a great job with you guys. keep up the good work!
jedi, i sense some bravado in your tone so this is a good time to mention some information you may or may not already know. there is a small yet extremely capable universe of casters (especially from the south) that take no prisioners. in fact historically, hatteras outfitters has been the ny yankees of casting. next, there are the north carolina long casters. they are like the boston red sox, multitalented and always in contention until the all star game when they are plagued with injuries and just plain bad luck. recently the team that has been making noise is N.E.C.C.[arizona devil rays] if you will. this group contains allstars in there own right with a couple of free agents thown in. a lethal combination to say the least. and the potomac longcasters are the chicago cubs [a perennial sweetheart] of the curcuit. i have not even mentioned the guys from the lone star state. they'll beat up on ya while hollerin yeee ha[ kinda like oakland a's]. the remedial group are spoliers at best, sleepers at worst [lets say like minnesota]. we are not an automatic win for any competitor. damn the torpedoes [or the steinbrenners for the sake of consistency] and full steam ahead.
you know how i feel about the leadership. aero the short legged dog is ralph nader's presidential running mate so he will be busy for a while. so tell the pelican man is safe to come out and play.

sir backcaster

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
GraveDigger,

I was talking about throwing lead. If you can throw a baseball that far, you are well ahead of me. I just got my first baseball rig from the Capital Longcasters yesterday. I am probably throwing that 300 feet or less. (I hope I wasn't supposed to turn it back in at the end of practice, I like using it too much. You get a lot more casts in the same amount of time. Less exercise though, and I could use more of that.)

Jedi,

It was nice meeting you and your wife yesterday. I really like being able to put a face behind the "handle". I showed my son the Brighton cast at home and he tried it twice before practice. If I wasn't so proud of him, I'd really be mad that he can pick something up so fast that took me many hours of practice to do.

Aero,

Just like everyone (at least all the women) on the field said, You are the man. I really liked your come back to that statement. I wont print it here so it won't be misconstrued but I am going to use it.

·
Registered
681 Posts
Pretty soon I'll be the most quoted person on pierandsurf. I feel like Geroge Castanza "Seinfield".

·
Registered
797 Posts
cantstandya

and like george, i cantstandsya.

sir backcaster

·
Registered
681 Posts
Like the girl at the club Friday night. You just won't go away.

A

·
0 Posts
Congratulatþons on your achievement and also thumbs up to the lad for a great first time out... That youngster will be great when he gets older...

After 2ç5 years of burnt thumbs, cracked skulls, birdnest city and countless temper tantrums and plain pig headed stuborn ness.....
I am now comsistantly casting distances I never thought possible.....

I owe my introduction to Dalyn and Nick Meyers ... meeting them "once" and watching them cast for an hour was all I needed to fuel my entusiasm for the nevt two years....

Friendship and support from senior casters is so important in this sport where we all feel like total nerds when we first start out...

I still can not belive that I am clearing 220 yards regularly now.. and when I have the wind to my back "look out baby" hee hee hee:)

I love this sport and all the great folks it attracts.....

Ron Arras book was also a great help from day one as was Ron personally though the internet....

Big Dave and Ardmore also gave me poimters that were mile stones in my education of my retarted thumb.. hee hee hee

·
Registered
797 Posts
Oct. 16 ,1969

jedi, u be the man. guess who the mets beat in the 1969 world series? the orioles. and atlhough mcgraw coined the phrase, ya gotta believe. jerry koosman was the winning pitcher.

ralph

·
Registered
551 Posts
Keep Up The Good Work!

It was nice to see "rocknwine" and his son again! Glad that you both are putting all that talent to good use.

It was good to see all the new faces, and the returning Saturday casting crew.

Until next time!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts