Pier and Surf Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
3,390 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
"The Brooklyn VI, the Dorothy out of Sheepshead Bay, The Night Hawk out of Belmar and the Dauntless out of Point Pleasant are sailing for mackerel now. The average size is small to medium."

This is just one post from another site, but there have
been quite a few reports of the mackeral running in
New Jersey. From what I can understand the run
will last for another few days if anybody is interested.

·
Registered
270 Posts
The problem with fishing out of Sheepshead is that while you may return with fish, your car won't be there when you get back. This adds significantly to the cost of fishing in Brooklyn.

·
Registered
565 Posts
I would fish either the Suzie girl or Nighthawk out of Belmar. They have been on these fish for several weeks and know where they are. The paramount would come in as my third choice. I won't step foot on a sheepshead bay boat. Besides, it makes no sense to drive to NY and then fish off Jersey! I have not fished the suzie girl yet, but it is Skippered by Jimmy elliot who used to run the Nighhawk and a few other boats over the years. I fished with him many times when he ran the nighthawk and would rate him as an excellent captain. I'm not sure who is running the nighthawk these days, but I have heard many good reports recently.

·
Registered
565 Posts
Flea,

This is the winter run of south bound fish. In Jersey the boats have always targeted mac in winter. The usually arrive sometime in Dec. and stay for about a month. The year before last they never went south and the boats fished for them from Dec until they went north again in March. With the cold weather, I don't anticipate that to happen this year. I think we might have another week or so maybe. The last several years the fish hung around much longer on the way south than they did on spring run when they are traditionally targetted. For several years the fish moved through very quickly in the spring and were only available for a few days. The last time I went was on the Night hawk and we easily filled 3 coolers plus several 50 gallon drums between four people! Most were given to the boat for bluefish chum, but we kept quite a few for the smoker and personal bait. I plan on doing a trip later on in the year if a spring run develops. I will also say that I grow some huge tomatoes with mackerel fertilizer.

·
Registered
2,263 Posts
I think that NJ has two mackeral runs. A winter run and a spring run.

·
Registered
3,390 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Duke of Fluke,

FERTILIZER!!!!!

Your killing me, mackeral are one of my favorite
fish to eat. My mom makes them Korean style
with soy sauce. They are great! I am dying
to go, but I have obligations this weekend.

And with my luck they will probably be gone
after that! Smile.

·
Registered
565 Posts
I can eat a meal of them b4 they are frozen, but they are too oily to freaze well without salting. There are better tasting fish out there. When you buy commercially made fertilizer that contains fish meal it is either menhaden or mackerel. Between the two I'd rather put mackerel in my gardern and I'd rather catch it with hook and line than use fish caught by a purse seiner. I am an avid gardener and fertilize exclusively with organic compost and fish scrap. Any fish I clean get burried in the gardern, and I plant one mac every couple of feet in the spring b4 planting.

·
Registered
3,390 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
My dad does the same thing in his garden. It drives
my mom insane! Smile. Koreans like oily fish and
with the spices and sause that they use, it taste
great even after having been frozen for a long time
without being salted. Keep in mind that my mom's
friends consider filets of dogfish one of the best
things going! My mom would love you since Taug are
her FAVORITE sushi fish in the world and you
definitely have a way with them.

·
Registered
2,263 Posts
I gotta learn how to make sushi, especially since tog is considered one of the best for sushi.

·
Registered
565 Posts
I've been making my own sushi/sashimi lately. I like fresh bluefinn tuna the best, but being a poor man I can't afford to go tuna fishing too often. Tog and seabass are both excellent. I also want to try some tog ceviche(sp?). I made mackerel ceviche last year and it was pretty good and easy to make, but I think a lean fish like tog or seabass would be superb.

·
Registered
2,263 Posts
Now cerviche I can do. I've done it with conch before and it was great. I got some tog left in my freezer, I'll try it sometime next week.

·
Registered
270 Posts
Now is the best time of year for ceviche because there are blood oranges in the markets. Mix one part lime juice to three parts blood orange juice for your marinade.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts