Pier and Surf Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
284 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Once comfy with casters in daylight, do folks switch to spinners at night ? or tighten up and continue with casters in the dark.
Not the pier, the beach. It felt spooky to me with the caster, so I went spinning. Even with the mag all in (but sure I knocked my distance way back).
Just wondering how comfortable the good guys are casting the casters in the dark. And what their M O is.
Thanks

·
Registered
353 Posts
Once comfy with casters in daylight, do folks switch to spinners at night ? or tighten up and continue with casters in the dark.
Not the pier, the beach. It felt spooky to me with the caster, so I went spinning. Even with the mag all in (but sure I knocked my distance way back).
Just wondering how comfortable the good guys are casting the casters in the dark. And what their M O is.
Thanks
I personally don’t change anything on my reels or cast at night in the dark …everything behaves the same

·
Registered
276 Posts
Just like Drum Junkie said, if you spend time casting your revolver type reel, you will start to "feel" the cast so you can tell when the cast is at the apex and when it is descending and when it is close to the water. That is when I start to lightly rest my thumb on the spool. This will prevent any backlash--except for a loop or two that is easily freed by pulling on the line. This "feel factor" is part of the charm of casting conventional reels.

·
Registered
172 Posts
Casual surf fisherman, but I tried the "switch to spinning at night" thing for a couple of trips and sold my spinning stuff pretty quickly.

Conventional isn't bad at night with a little practice. If conditions are tough just take a bit off the cast.

·
Registered
284 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Next time to the field, I'll stay late and work on it.
Guess muscle memory takes care of most of it, once it all gets firmly ingrained and they learn what to remember.
Soon as we get a warm spell here.
Thanks again folks,
:)

1 - 12 of 12 Posts