Pier and Surf Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Almost lunch time!

Everyone talks about fishing the Lynnhaven pier. Is it possible to fish from the beach? I don't have the nets, etc to fish from the pier, and I really enjoy fishing from the shore anyway. Main target would be drum. If not the ocean, I know I can fish up the inlet in the Crab Creek area. I tried there this summer. Looked fishy, but fishies.

Also, my buddy is coming up from Louisiana in mid November. Any thoughts on what species will be around at that time? I'm right by the York River, but willing to drive.

TIA!

·
Registered
276 Posts
There will be someone with a net on the pier and 99% of the anglers will be willing to help you net the fish. Mid November will be striper season.

·
Registered
2,208 Posts
You could fish from the beach but it really isn't worth it...been there done that.

If it stays warm in November you should be catching specks and stripers.

·
Registered
3,330 Posts
While at Lynnhaven the last time, it went from high to low tide while I was there and I was surprised how big a sand bar there is to the left of the pier (Lesner Bridge side). At low tide you can walk out about 75 yards to the sand bar. You will probably hit a small stretch of water about 4 or 5 feet deep before it begins to shallow out, but once it does its a really big sand bar that stretches from beside the pier towards the bridge a hundred yards or more. Fishing from the shore would require a long cast and eventually you will end up tangled with the pier folks who are fishing straight out. If I were in your shoes I'd hit the pier!

·
Registered
929 Posts
If it stays warm in November you should be catching specks and stripers.[/QUOTE]

Specks have been there thick but small .one in 30 might be a keeper from what I was told..

·
Registered
278 Posts
There are some grey trout out there too. Caught right at the size limit on cut roundhead. All released. Felt like there were some bigger ones out there but i left the speck rod in the car.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
While at Lynnhaven the last time, it went from high to low tide while I was there and I was surprised how big a sand bar there is to the left of the pier (Lesner Bridge side). At low tide you can walk out about 75 yards to the sand bar. You will probably hit a small stretch of water about 4 or 5 feet deep before it begins to shallow out, but once it does its a really big sand bar that stretches from beside the pier towards the bridge a hundred yards or more. Fishing from the shore would require a long cast and eventually you will end up tangled with the pier folks who are fishing straight out. If I were in your shoes I'd hit the pier!
Great intel. Thanks!!

I was thinking of trying just on other side of the inlet, i.e across the bridge, on what I think is called Chics (Chicks?) beach. Anyone been successful doing that?

·
Registered
35 Posts
Great intel. Thanks!!

I was thinking of trying just on other side of the inlet, i.e across the bridge, on what I think is called Chics (Chicks?) beach. Anyone been successful doing that?
I live on chixs beach and fish it just about everynight...there are PLENTY of trout to be caught right now all up and down the beach....there seems to be a good size "hole" or something out behind froggies restourant that holds decent amounts of fish...now go to the other end of the beach right at the fence of were the little creek navel base is you can get into some better sized trout and blues in that area right at about dusk on the incoming tide seems to be the ticket...be warned though there are TONS of rocks in the water that you cant see and you will get snagged on them....
Bouncing any type of metal ie. hopkins, sting silvers etc or gotchas (Chartruse head white body in my expierence) around the bottom working them at a fairly decent reel pace seems to work....They also LOVE saltwater assaisns but I've kind of weaned off of using them due to the tails getting bit off to hook up ratio....just my knowledge of what I have been doing lately....
As the wicked tuna captain Tyler of Pinwheel told me one night when I was having a few brews at a bar in OCMD, "you aint catching anything but lies on the internet brah you gotta get out there!"

"Heres to good times and tight lines!":beer:

1 - 9 of 9 Posts