Pier and Surf Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Tried to go to Harrison's first, but it was completely packed. Thus, ended up at Lynnhaven, which was busy, but not overly crowded.

Fished from 11:30am until 7:30pm. What a beautiful day for fishing.

Caught nothing for first 3 hours but small, annoying stuff (sea robins, pin fish, etc.). Moved closer to end of pier and ran into a school of roundheads. Caught about 40 (me and a buddy) in about 1.5 hours. Lots of fun. Then they stopped. (They were only hitting squid).

Also caught a few spot on bloodworms.

Great day for fishing. Oh, and there were crabs everywhere it seemed. Didn't see or hear about anything large being caught. Did hear there were some spanish ran through around mid afternoon.

·
Registered
2,114 Posts
Was out on the pier about 9:00 pm for a couple hours.
It was jam packed. There was nothing going on from
one end of the pier to the other. Would have been skunked
if not for a lone pigfish.

Saw a few whiting and spot. A guy at the end was catching skate with a 10' rod he was throwing every which way including next to my friend's head. Needless to say we moved.

The pier owner said it has been busy on Saturdays.
Sundays are less crowded. She said the action will
pick up the end of August with the spot run.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the post, Fish'n Phil. It sounds like we made the right decision to leave when we did.

Whiting (roundhead) and spot was pretty much all we saw, too. Except for that 1.5 hour period when we lucked into a school of whiting, we didn't see much either.

That happened around 4pm (low tide was at around 1:40pm, if I remember right).

Looking forward to when it picks up a bit (but I won't complain about Saturday, since we did get into some).

:p

·
Banned
2,302 Posts
Sunday 7/27

Fished Sunday night from 6:30-9:15pm (incoming tide). Bite was very good with small roundhead, croaker, spot and a few small undersized flounder. A few decent size spot and roundhead were mixed in, but most everything was small. Squid was the bait of choice for most tonight.

As usual for weekend pier fishing in the summer, the place had it's share of people casting over your lines, and fishing right on top of you.

Had two nice bites on cut blue, but could not set the hook!

Baitfish were all over the top of the water, but nothing was touching them.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts