Pier and Surf Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
I'am truely sorry to hear that the lynnhaven pier is gone. I first learned at it from this very forum and it was the first place that I had ever saltwater fished from.

I hope everybody that belongs to this forum is safe and sound. The have just posted a flash flood warning for my area and the winds are stating to pick up.

Hope to see some of you in the future.

·
Registered
4,392 Posts
Hey Alvin,. I used to live in Winchester and fished in Front Royal all the time under the Rt. 340 bridge for smallies. Whereabouts in Strasburg are you?

·
Registered
4,392 Posts
I loved fishing under that bridge. I used to drive down there from Winchester and fish either there or Lake Frederick after I got off work. There's some big fish there in the lake.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I live in a townhouse just off Rt.55 behind the Judd's. As a matter of fact if the water keeps rising behind me, I'am going to open the back door and throw a line out just to see if I catch any thing. :D

I had taken today and tomorrow off so I could come down there to fish but now I going to have to settle for Lake Frederick. :(

·
Registered
300 Posts
UPDATE -

Lynnhaven pier is not lost. It took serious damage about 3/4 of the way from the end but the rest of the pier is ok.

I was staying at the Virginia Beach Resort Hotel (just a little bit down the beach from the pier) and I was watching the whole storm from either my balcony or from the beach.

The pier was not damaged by the waves - it was 2 boats (maybe a third) that came flying along in the wind and hit the pier in almost the exact same spot. I was taping, but unfortanately missed the impact. I did get a lot of pictures (will post later) of the boards falling into the water.

The good news is that I just went down to offer to help with anything they needed and they asked me to help nail down loose boards, so as soon as I finish this post I am headed back down there to help.

An inspector came to the pier just before I did and checked it out. He okd the pier for opening if the boards are nailed down, and a cross member is installed at the end of the damaged part.
The pier will open hopefully tomorrow morning for fishing but only to about a little past the second shelter. That is still a lot of room to fish!

Yesterday people were catching a ton of puppy drums and stripers in the surf next to the pier. Hopefully the fishing will still be good tomorrow morning.

Another thing is that since I have video tape of people at the hotel saying the boats hit the pier, the owners may be able to get insurance money to rebuild the damage since it was boats that did the damage and not waves.

Hope that brightens someones day.:rolleyes:

EDIT _ Pier is now ready to open at 8am Sunday Morning. The total amount lost from the pier was somewhere estimated to be 300 to 500 ft.

·
Registered
206 Posts
opening tomorrow at 8am

i went up to lynnhaven today to see how much went during the storm. i got a ride down the pier with the the owners daughter and it really didn't look to bad but i was told to go over the bridge and look at it. WOW. anyway a few good things

1. boats did hit it so if bobby lou finds out who owns the boats there insurance will chip in
2. the pres. called VA a disaster area so she should get funding to rebuild.
3 there are post out from where the end was so she can put the end back out that far again.

so it should be back to the way it was during the winter. and maybe she will but a T on the end. I'll talk to her

anyway they are open tomorrow so i will be out there after the redskins play.

·
Premium Member
5,785 Posts
GraphixDude said:

The pier was not damaged by the waves - it was 2 boats (maybe a third) that came flying along in the wind and hit the pier in almost the exact same spot. I was taping, but unfortanately missed the impact. I did get a lot of pictures (will post later) of the boards falling into the water.

Another thing is that since I have video tape of people at the hotel saying the boats hit the pier, the owners may be able to get insurance money to rebuild the damage since it was boats that did the damage and not waves.

You might end up saving Hoyt a hunk of cash...I think he owes you a few years worth of season passes. :D

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.