Pier and Surf Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1,481 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Since I didn't see GrapixDude today on the pier, I'll post an update:

Fished from 3p-8p (closing). Blues were running strong the entire time except from about 5-6 it slowed down but quickly picked back up. I started with a gotcha but the first unhooking ended up with a treble hook thru the index finger (ouch!). I switched to more friendly jigs and plastics. I almost went thru my entire tackle bag of fin-s, shad bodies, storms, etc. The favorite color was chartruese but then they hit anything that moved around dusk (I finally caught something on an electric chicken). I put a bucktail on and was scoring doubles.
The size were smaller than last week's run. These guys were around 1# to an occassional 3# in the mix. They're still fun on light tackle. Another guy caught a couple of shad on a gotcha. The few folks out there were fishing from the cleaning station to the first covered benches.

And to use Jack Ace's words: (I) Threw Most Back (except 10).

·
Registered
145 Posts
do you happen to know if they have been doing good on the pier in the morning also or just in the evening? Called Little Island and they were catchin blues a little smaller than last weeks too, catching them on gotchas at the end

·
Registered
300 Posts
Thanks for the report. I was working hard on some web projects (need to feed myself with more than fish :))

I will be there tomorrow no matter what!

I heard from a few friends that called me that the blues were biting fierce and ferocious and it made almost sick to know I missed it but hey - I have a whole summer to get em!

Hope to see you out there again soon Chest2head and the rest of you P&S fishin pros!

·
Registered
2,255 Posts
C2H&G something I've always done to my Bluefish specific lures (metal) is to switch out the trebbles that normally come on them to a single preferably one that has a bucktail or piece of colored tubing on it. Can't see wasting the rubba on the Blues, besides when they're feeding hard the metal has always worked just as good for me, Gators, Hopkins, Crippled Herrings, Castmasters, Stingsilvers, etc. Use as fast of a retrieve as possible, making them chase it and bite it from the hook end.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts