Pier and Surf Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Everyone at the end of the pier using blood worms was catching very large croakers. I started fishing about 3am and had a lot of fun. As soon as my bait hit the bottom. A large croaker snatched my bait. The croakers were running about 1-2 pounds average. Ran out of blood worms and the pier was selling them for 6.99! Well, that was too expensive for my blood. The bite did tail off about dawn.

:D

·
Registered
7 Posts
'Heading out their in about a half hour. I don't have bloodworms and at $7 a pop I doubt I will. I'll be using squid, cut mackeral, and shrimp. I'll check back and let you know how I did.

Spike

·
Registered
691 Posts
cheap worms

We have had good success using Night Crawlers instead of the golden Bloodworms...... At $1.99/ dozen sure beats the $5 and up price of the others. We have caught all the bait species on them(Croaker, Spot, Pig fish, etc.)...... Usually you can find them at 7-11, K-mart, or Walmart.. occaisionally some of the bait shops will have them. GOOD LUCK!!!!!

Zigh
><((((*>
:)

·
Registered
7 Posts
'Just got back. I onlly caught a few tee-nineny croaker as did most everyone else. I saw one decent flounder taken and one throw-back size.:(

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I've been talking to people on the pier an it seems that the very early morning is the best time. Working 3rd shift makes life quite easy when the decision is made to fish those crazy hours.

·
Registered
4,223 Posts
tonymontanna

When we were out there last weekend one of those horse croakers was pulled up midway the pier. Biggest thing out there that day. I believe it was a few days before then when geo reported a good haul of them on Seagull Pier. I would have thought they would still be way up in the bay or else feeding in the rivers.

Do you think they are starting their exodus?

What are the numbers on the caught croakers?

Thanks

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
To answer your question. There were a ton of croakers caught between the hours of 3:30am till about 6:10am. Everyone with blood worms at the end of the pier was catching big old hogger croaker. They did come in waves but the bite was really consistant. A couple of people filled up their coolers.

As, for the croaker migration or what ever they do. I have no clue because this is my first year salt water fishing. (First time that I have had the entire year to fish instead of just a couple of days via vacation)

·
Registered
389 Posts
There were people pulling them nice croaker inside the Lesner with cast nets and squid on a bottom rig. Biggest I've seen anyway, and with cast nets,pretty cool. It was Friday night and the tide was low low.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Lynnhaven Pier 9/6

Fished noticed I said fished not caught fish at the Pier on Sat 9/6 got there about 4Pm fished till 10Pm the waters were empty except for a few pod of dolphin the went thru heading for the inlet.It was the worst fishing Ive had all year got one bite in 6 hours used everything but the kitchen sink an thats only cuz I didnt have room to stick it on my hand truck.I was about 3/4 of the way out to the end of the pier an everyone I talked to out there didnt have anything either.So yea when winds from the east fishins the least and when it comes from the north dont venture forth looks like another wash out today with the wind maybe I ll hit the ocean wasnt too bad down there Fri in that wind.

" Hey Im puttin a skylight in the ceiling.....man are the tenants upstairs cranked up over it "
:D

·
Registered
206 Posts
i was out at lynnhaven most of the night saturday. and i will agree worst i have ever seen it. only thing i saw caught was a good size puppy drum (about 4 pounds) and i snagged a few mullet. nothing else was caught out there as long as i was there. i am headed back tonight it can't be that back tonights in a row. oh yeah the drum was caught by an 11 yr old girl. once again i am showed up by a little kid

dan lee

fish til they come

·
Registered
7 Posts
'Going out to the pier at 0 dark 30 in the morning,. I' plan on fishing it for 3 - 4 hours, our until high tide. I'll let you guys know what happens.

·
Registered
7 Posts
'Threw in the towell about 2 PM. Nobody was catching anything except for one fella next to me who reeled in a 1/2 lb ray. The wind was around 25 to 30 kts and gusting even higher. Seas were about 3-4 feet. No small craft were within sight. One time when I got up from my alluminum folding chair I had to chase it down the pier. I lost my hat over the side on the way back. All in all, it was a wasted day.:barf:

1 - 12 of 12 Posts