Pier and Surf Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Fished Lynnhaven Pier yesterday from 11:45 AM - 6:00 PM. Fishing was really good even during low tide (though once the dolphins came through, fishing slowed for about an hour before starting back up again)! Caught a bunch of everything, though not many fish had any size..Caught some black sea bass, flounder, pinfish, hogfish, croaker, spot, roundhead, grey trout, bluefish, sea robin, and a fish that looked like a baby jack cravelle (do you guys know what kind of fish im talking about?) though i have trouble believing that jack cravelle could possibly be caught in that area. Caught many fish two at a time..ended up catching about 100 fish in all, but only kept about 15 nice size roundhead, spot, and croaker. Also crabbed some too, but down at the end (where i was fishing), wasnt exactly the greatest place to crab (though you could see lots of them on the barnacles on the pilings - shouldve fished in the front of the pier, but no fish were there). Even though the overwhelming amount of fish caught were small, i still had fun because its not too often that i get to go saltwater fishin, especially with school starting in less than 2 days :mad: Tight lines guys.

·
Registered
3,744 Posts
Bluesfever you have had to have one of the better days this summer from pier. Nice variety of catchs you got there. Dolphins come all the way into the Lynhaven area? How far out were they? Guess they scare away all the fish like the rays do. Nice report. Tight Lines!

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
dolphins..

The dolphins were probably out about 100 yds from the end of the pier...atleast 10 of them too. By the way, thats not the only time ive seen dolphins while fishing there.

·
Registered
691 Posts
Nice variety

Way to go on your grandslam of fishes! The fish you caught and thought might be Jack Crevalle were probably Pompano, but there have been some large Jack's seen and a few caught at the 3rd Island of the CBBT....... Those little fellas pull pretty good. Glad you got some pullage...........

Zigh
><(((*>
:D

·
Registered
3,744 Posts
hmmmmm...

I remember a post last year about what it would be like hooking into one of them der dolphins. Can you say spooled in about 2 and 1/2 seconds:jawdrop: Thanks for the info. And yeah I would say what you got there was pompano. Heard some reports of people getting them there. Tight Lines!

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Zigh..

Zigh, thanks for the info about the Jacks...i guess i now know what i caught. Im absolutely positive that what i caught wasnt pompano because ive caught lots of pompano on the outer banks before and they have several physical differences from a jack cravelle (what i seemed to have caught yesterday). I just wasnt sure if jacks had been caught in the bay because it was my first guess at what type of fish it was.

·
Registered
3,744 Posts
Could definitely be, especially if you know they weren't pompano. They fight pretty good but they definitely don't taste very good.:barf:

·
Registered
824 Posts
They could indeed be Jacks. Some pretty large ones have been caught in that area. I've seen them myself. Yep, even Wahoo, maybe not often but they get in there from time to time.

·
Registered
4,408 Posts
Jack Crevalle:

Florida Pompano:

·
Registered
300 Posts
Isnt Lynnhaven pier cool!? I had a lot of days catching a lot of different kinds of fish there early in the summer. That was the first place I ever salt water fished, and I was so excited when i moved to vabeach to live so close to a great place to fish like that.

Unfortantely I took on a big project (graphic work) and was gone for most of the summer. I plan to be back this week, so I am getting that fish fever again. Can't wait to be out there with a line in the water and a beer in my hand relaxing.

I got to fish in the deep south for bass several times since I have been gone, and caught a nice 9 pounder a few weeks ago. I will post the pic soon if anyone is interested in seeing it.
Also hooked into some HUGE carp in this creek below a dam. Of course I wouldnt eat a carp but they were nearly as big as us! From the top of the cement structure we stood on you could see the huge fish in the water of the crek (shallow - about 4-12 ft and crystal clear). The first day we tossed night crawlers at them with n o luck until one finally bit my buddys line and snapped it instantly.

The next day we went to walmart and got spider wire line, and some catfish bait, and a can of corn. The corn was the ticket to hooking into and landing those Gigantic aquatic monsters. lol....it was so fun.

Well....back to work so I can get the heck out of here and go home!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts