Pier and Surf Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
300 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
*comes in singing "Oh What a Night"

Well, I had planned all week to fish, and several buddies were going to meet me at the pier so I was stoked - until I saw the forcast for rain and high winds from the south. I didn't think my buddies were gonna go because of the weather, but to my suprise I got a call that they were out there and to come on.

4 minutes after getting to the pier I was reeling in my 2nd big round head. over the next half hour between 4 of us we caught 6 more round heads and about 10 puffer fish. THEN -

One of the guys tied on a rattle trap, and casted and WHAM! he got a nice sized blue (about 8 pounds). On his second cast after removing the blue BAM! another one. Next we all tied on the lures of some kind, from spoons to rapalla to a big yellow mister twister, and EVERY CAST almost caught a big blue. It lasted for about a half hour or forty five minutes in the pouring rain. A little kid even caught 2 of them on blood worms. In total between four of us we caught over 30 big blues (smallest about 17 inches), and then it quit. I fished until midnight and only caught one more round head.

It was cold, raining and windy but well worth it to catch the blues. What fun!

·
Registered
300 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
On weekdays the pier stays open until 8pm and opens I think at 8am. On weekends (starting Friday night) the pier is open 24 hours.

erickharwell, Im suprised you didn't catch any - they were biting really good for the last 3 days. They turn off at times, but when they are on they bite super good. I have very little experience with ocean fishing since I have only lived here in VB for about a week, but the fish seem to bite best an hour or so before dark and then quit until about 11pm - 1am. Then they go dead for a while until a little while before sun up. Tide makes a big difference too I think, as well as wind changes. I have caught most of my fish on incoming tide.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts