Pier and Surf Forum banner

1 - 1 of 1 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My brother and I got to the pier around 10:00PM on Thursday and what a crappy day it turned out to be. My brother pulled up a roundhead, croaker, and spot. All were small and caught on squid. Everyone else on the pier caught very small stuff and very few at that. There were probably close to tens of thousands of the little bait fish (minnows or silver something). Around 1:30am they started to go nuts. They were jumping out of the water and making a big ruckus. It sounded like it was a torrential downpour. I took a look at the lights and you could see 10 - 20 trouts and blues gorging themselves sending the baitfish in a frenzy. We broke out the gotchas and proceeded to jig for them. We pulled up a couple of small (7"-10") trout and my brother pulled up a small blue which we proceeded to use as cut bait off the end of the pier. My brother hooked a big skated which we let go and I threw out my line to try for something too. I have a Shakespeare Freeliner with 17 pound line. While jigging for more blues I heard my line start screming. This is the first time I ever set my rig to do this and what a sound. I now know why everyone gets excited when that happens. I picked up the pole and flicked the freeliner lever and set the hook. SNAP! my line broke. I was pretty bummed. It was probably a big skate but in my mind I will continue to think it was a big cobia or drum. We stayed till 6:00AM with no more bites. Has anyone else seen the little bait fish go nuts like that before?

1 - 1 of 1 Posts