Pier and Surf Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2,318 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Non-stop croaker action yesterday afternoon and evening. Catching on shrimp.

Last night I saw some glowing plants (or something) near the surface of the water. Sometimes you could see an occasional glowing spot in the water. Usually when a reeled in my jig the
water would glow and then fade away.

Has anyone else noticed this and does anyone know what is glowing? Just a dislaimer that I was not drinking or smoking anything!

·
Registered
239 Posts
There is some kind seaweed (algae like?) that is microscopic that causes 'phosphorescence'(sp?), a build up of phospherous that glows when disturbed. I have seen it when waves rolled and when i splashed the surface. I don't know about a jellyfish, unless they are microscopic, and that is what i saw, and wer'e talking about the same thing.
Koszlow will probably post at some point and school us.

·
Registered
2,318 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks for the replies. I think it may be jellies and
algae! It's just weird seeing the glowing at night.
I'm fishing the inlet but I'm not sure what part of it.

Fished Sunday night. Nothing but small croakies.
The mosquitoes feasted on me depsite using Ultrathon.

·
Registered
67 Posts
For what it's worth, when Charles Linbergh flew across the Atlantic in The Spirit of Saint Louis, one of the things that he used for navigation was glowing algeae. There is a type (maybe a type of plankton instead), that reflects very small amounts of light (i.e. moonlight). Interesting, if nothing else.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.