Pier and Surf Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Fished Lynnhaven this morning. Tried to the right of Crab Creek this morning. Nothing biting. So I took my fly rod, my spining rod and my gudgens to my favorite island. Fished there from about 10:30 to 1:30. Had a nice bite going on the last hour or so of the out going tide. First fish, flounder caught on the fly rod. Next fish, flounder on the fly rod. Next fish, Mister Puppy Drum, damn, he got off at the edge of the island. Ok decide to throw out the spining reel with a gudgen on and fly fish too. Found a new way to fish them little fish. Sorry can devulge my secret but four Puppy Drum in about 35 mins. Could hardly keep the little gugdens in the water. I would throw them out, grab the fly rod and by the time I had my fly rod in the back cast the spining reel was a singin'. So I stuck with the spining rod. So todays total: 4 nice (legal, 22, 21, 21 and 20 inches) Puppy Drum, One healthy (legal, 23 inch) Flounder, and two of the biggest Croaker I have ever caught. Released about as many fish as I caught to. Those were undersized. Oh yea, one 28 inch striper and one Taylor Blue too. Let them go as well. Had a great day on the water and in the kayak.

Tight Lines!

[excited]

·
Premium Member
831 Posts
Sounds like a great trip, whatever a "gudgen" is :confused:

Flyrodder thing, are maybe this is just a "googan" question???

·
Registered
77 Posts
The page cannot be displayed

Couldn't open your images, Va_yak; not sure why-IE just told me to try later...

glad to hear about your success, and its always fun to discover a new method of fishing that increases the catch rate! Good on ya!

Doad.

·
Registered
3,744 Posts
I still can't

get them. :mad: hummmph stupid computer.

·
Premium Member
831 Posts
Bummer.........

"Forbidden

You do not have permission to get URL '/groups/g_9601412/Image008.jpg' from this server"

·
Registered
1,751 Posts
I can't open pic either and please tell me what a gudgen is:confused:

·
Registered
1,751 Posts
Forgot to give you the error message:

Forbidden
You do not have permission to get URL '/' from this server.

·
Registered
8 Posts
I believe Dballs is correct. As of this year, you can only keep 3 fish, and the larger fish are catch & release only. Anything else is poaching. It's nice to see the law change this year. I personally don't know how anyone can kill a puppy drum when they grow to be such a great gamefish, especially if they taste anything like a croaker, but that's me.

·
Registered
8 Posts
I believe Dballs is correct. As of this year, you can only keep 3 fish, and the larger fish are catch & release only. Anything else is poaching. It's nice to see the law change this year. I personally don't know how anyone can kill a puppy drum when they grow to be such a great gamefish, especially if they taste anything like a croaker, but that's me.

·
Banned
1,208 Posts
WizarD & C-Flea,

A Gudgen is a small fish or minnow either similar to or slang for a mudminnow or mummichog and is used for live bait such as with squid on a fluke killer rig which is called giving'em the sandwich ;)

Sounds yummie :--->

`bucket

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #15 (Edited)
. Ok, I was in error. I thought the limit was four. I will make sure that I get a new card, as I did not have one with me, or a fishing partner to ask. I was the only one out on thursday, only saw a handful of power boats go by. I am not one that breaks the law or poaches as you are saying that I was. It was a honest mistake. Please forgive my lack of knowledge of the new regs. I will pull them up on the net and get the current regs.

As for keeping the fish. I only keep what I eat and release all others. If you read, I released as many as I kept. If I were a poacher I would have kept them all. I did not. All fish (puppy drum, flounder and croaker) were legal size. If I were a poacher, I would have kept the nice 28 inch striper too. I don't keep fish that I am not suppose to. I make a mistake and now the masses are coming down on me. If you are trying to help me with the new regs, great, but don't slam me for an honest mistake. I am sure that you have never ever made a mistake in your life. If you want to help me, then go fishing with me and make sure that I don't do things wrong. As it often happens, I fish alone and do not alway remember what the rule are, but I will try and find a card or something that I will carry to help me. Where might I find this card with all the size limits and keeper limits on it????:confused:

For all of those that want to see the pics, email me at [email protected] and I will send you the pics. Trying to psot them somewhere else and relink them. Will try angain soon.

·
Registered
862 Posts
In the spirit of helping with the new regs. Red Drum 3 fish 18 to 26 inch slot limit.

Oh and another name for gudgens (sp) is mud minnows. It is interesting that they were working so well I may try some on the flats and near the shore line soon.

Tom (The glad that he did not catch a 34 inch cobia as up until a week ago that is what I thougt the minimum size was. BTW I have only targeted them once on someone else's boat who knew the rules)

·
Registered
77 Posts
http://www.first-nature.com/fishes/gobio_gobio.htm

Its a baitfish (minnow) we locals use for flounder fishing often. They can be caught fairly easily this time of year by castnetting wherever you can wade and wherever there might be appropriate cover (grassbeds, etc) for smaller fish to hide. I've caught lots of gudgeons in less than 6" of water in Lynnhaven inlet, and I remember one time when the inlet flooded the roads on the Island, they were swimming everywhere-in the garage, in the back yard and the front yard of my (then) boss' property! Kinda cool...:cool:

·
Premium Member
831 Posts
The Bucket said:
WizarD & C-Flea,

A Gudgen is a small fish or minnow either similar to or slang for a mudminnow or mummichog and is used for live bait such as with squid on a fluke killer rig which is called giving'em the sandwich ;)

`bucket
Those little buggers got more names than anyother bait I think.
Thanks for the reply, I usually refer to them as "Killies" or Mudminnows"..........I guess I've probably caught and uses at least a couple pickup loads in my years :D

·
Registered
3,744 Posts
In Florida we like to call them bull minnows.:)

·
Registered
3,744 Posts
In fact I caught some at the PAX NAS in Md last year and used them in the salt water for flounder and then turned around and used them in fresh water for bass! Them little suckers stayed alive for a long time in the fresh water. Long enough for me to catch a few bass.:)

1 - 20 of 23 Posts