Pier and Surf Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What is the best type of knot to tie for lures? Should I use a barrel swivel or just tie directly to line?

Thanks

·
Registered
996 Posts
I know others will disagree with me, but when I'm slinging lures I tie a surgeon's end loop in the line. It lets me change lures easily by just putting the loop through the eye of the lure and forming a lark's head over the eye.

I like it because it's easy to tie, allows quick lure changes, and eliminates any extra metal (snap swivles, etc)

my $.02 only

·
Registered
983 Posts
thats a good technique except you gotta be careful with it because those larkshead knots can come undone sometimes, and its also sometimes hard to fit over a lure especially if its a big one, and you also have to watch out for the line loop snagging on you hooks, you get past that stuff and it really is a pretty good setup, i like doin that when i fish the flats, it lets me switch from just a hook, to a popping cork setup, to a lure quick and pretty easily, if i know im gonna stick to one general presentation tho, i tend to stick with the Uni knot, its 100% line breaking strength and iv never had one (that was tied correctly) slip ;) just figure out wuts most comfortable for you, there really is no wrong or right when it comes to knots especially, everyone has their own way that works for them and thats wut they stick to........hope this helps

tight lines and God bless :fishing:

·
Registered
5,663 Posts
I know others will disagree with me, but when I'm slinging lures I tie a surgeon's end loop in the line. It lets me change lures easily by just putting the loop through the eye of the lure and forming a lark's head over the eye.

I like it because it's easy to tie, allows quick lure changes, and eliminates any extra metal (snap swivles, etc)

my $.02 only
I do this too, or use a palomar.

·
Registered
352 Posts
i use an improved clinch knot for most of my applications. never had a knot bust on me... but then again... usually don't get in to the bigg fish like the others here.. but it holds just fine.. if anything you can double it over and tie it as normal.

also a World's fair knot works well... it looks wimpy but it has held when skate are thick out at the CBBT (Seagull Pier)

·
Registered
1,127 Posts

my $.02 only
Ditto to that,, easy to tie, and lets the lure bob around,,,just make sure the surgeons knot is secure before you use it..

·
Registered
1,240 Posts
palomar knot to a duo clip using fireline when fishing lures in the salt

·
Registered
153 Posts
Is Polymer the best knot? Yes, and No. It depends.....

From what I understand by the books I am reading a polymer is the best knot to use for today's high-tech line.

A clintch knot was good for back in the day, or older or "normal type" fishing string.

Most serious fisherman use the newere type line, which is best to use polymer.

My old habits with using clintch may be hard to break :) I was using a modified version of clintch, I would just loop the string about 10 times, then tie it. As opposed to wrapping it, then putting the loop through.

If i don't want to lose fish, I better start using poymer.

This is just based on my research and reading, feel free to disagree :)

·
Registered
2,467 Posts
I'll stick with the clinch knot for mono. I've never had the knot slip in my life, and I've been using it since I was 12 years old. My father was strictly a "big" game fisherman (tuna, wahoo, marlin) and all he used was the clinch knot without any problems. I do sometimes use a Uni knot on some lures.

·
Registered
4,338 Posts
Clinch knot for mono, palomar for braid. Either way, when casting lures you need to have a swivel someplace on your line to control twist... I use a 4' section of 50 lb mono - I put a swivel on top, and a snap on the bottom...works great and controls line twist...

Sandcrab

1 - 15 of 15 Posts