Pier and Surf Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,869 Posts
What are the advantages of throwing low reel versus high reel? :confused::confused:

Evan

Well... the main advantage is your top hand is free to push on the rod for all it's worth, without having to grip the reel. There is some thought that it is easier to grip a reel in low position and avoid reel slip -- since your pulling the reel toward you with your bottom hand-- instead of pushing it away with your top hand.

On the other hand-- it can be argued that it is easier to get a more effective "pull" on the rod, if your not holding the reel with your pulling hand. Also if you throw low reel, you will be holding the reel with your non-dominant hand (left hand if right handed), and as such, if your left hand grip is really weak-- you may have issues keeping the spool from slipping as you power into the cast.

There are other nuances that come into play-- with the reel in low position it is generally easier to get to the mag controls to work them as soon as the sinker is away. (Especially true if your left handed)

Some might argue that low reel gives you slightly more working "rod length", but I think that is mere perception/theory, and any advantage really isn't quantifiable.

The only way to know if you like low reel is try it and see if it is comfortable to you. The majority of tournament casters go low reel-- but a few stick with high reel and still get good results.

·
Registered
3,822 Posts
For me it's all about the power.. IT feels like I can get more power with low reel. I'm left handed and perfer to have my stronger hand on the reel..

·
Premium Member
3,869 Posts
For me it's all about the power.. IT feels like I can get more power with low reel. I'm left handed and perfer to have my stronger hand on the reel..
Now I'm curious-- or maybe just never noticed, don't you cast right handed ? Meaning you push the rod over your right shoulder during the cast ?

·
Registered
2,397 Posts
Now I'm curious-- or maybe just never noticed, don't you cast right handed ? Meaning you push the rod over your right shoulder during the cast ?
yup. weird right? i would think kwesi would push with his left too.

im guessing this is like how.. some people write with right hand.
hold a fork or chopsticks with left hand.
kick a soccer ball with left foot.
catch the ball with the right.

my sister is like that . lol

·
Registered
3,822 Posts

Yes.. what I was saying is that when i cast with my Right Hand on the reel it feels like my grip is going to slip. So I cast right handed but I'm left handed..

·
Premium Member
3,869 Posts
Yes.. what I was saying is that when i cast with my Right Hand on the reel it feels like my grip is going to slip. So I cast right handed but I'm left handed..
Now I'm really puzzled, how were you casting before you went to low reel ?

Right handed ?

I'm wondering if you have previously tried casting left handed (over the left shoulder) ?, since you are left handed.

·
Registered
2,557 Posts
I am one of those left-handers that learned to cast in a right-handed world as well. :) When I ventured to the low reel position, it felt natural since I have my left hand on the reel when casting while fishing.

Robert

·
Registered
43 Posts
If anyone needs a reason to have a low reel:

Lay the rod butt in your open hand.... remembering you need to keep your arms (both) out straight in front of you before the hit.
Now close your hand tight around the butt.

The rod has now moved to an angle not commensurate with both arm being straight.

Having the reel at the bottom allows the top hand to be relaxed right up to the hit.

·
Registered
3,822 Posts
I couldnt have said it better myself.

I am one of those left-handers that learned to cast in a right-handed world as well. :) When I ventured to the low reel position, it felt natural since I have my left hand on the reel when casting while fishing.

Robert

·
DISTANCE CASTING SPONSOR
3,349 Posts
Good information here.

For me, the low reel position just feels better.

It does indeed free up the right for the punch and gives a better grip (for me) with the left. Smartie hit the nail on the head though, the right wrist is in somewhat of a bind when you try to get full arm extension with a high reel position, especially groundcasting.

Tommy

·
Premium Member
3,869 Posts

Robert
I find this very interesting ( as a lefty myself). I may give it a try (casting over the right shoulder), but I suppose it will feel very unnatural to me. I would think you would always want to use your strong arm to do the overhand pushing, as to me this mimicks the action of a throwing arm-- like tossing a football or baseball-- or javelin, etc. . The natural dexterity (and strength) that is developed in the throwing arm extends not only to a stronger grip, but general arm and shoulder muscles on that side develop more power (and control) , than the weaker side. Try throwing with your weak arm, ya all know what I mean.

Not saying there is anything wrong with what you guys are doing, if it works for you great :), I certainly understand the advantage of having the stronger grip on the reel, and it probably doesn't hurt any to have the stronger arm do the pulling, as long as the other arm can handle the pushing as well.

There is one very minor advantage to casting over the left shoulder--- there is almost nil chance you will ever "bump" a reel handle into gear during a cast-- the handle stays to the outside of the body through out the cast-- like I said it's not a big deal-- just something I see come into play for right handed casters ocassionally, it's got to be frustrating on the occasions when that happens.

·
Registered
2,557 Posts
I would think you would always want to use your strong arm to do the overhand pushing, as to me this mimicks the action of a throwing arm-- like tossing a football or baseball-- or javelin, etc.
You have a point about strength of your dominant arm. Personally, I am ambidextrous when it comes to sports, but my right side has always been my stronger side. I can switch hit and "switch" throw in baseball, but my power comes from my right arm. I don't know why. When casting in a fishing situation, my accuracy comes from my left arm. Bass fishing years ago, tossing a spinner bait bouncing off a stump to get up under brush was nothing for my left arm. Couldn't dream of doing it with my right. Even though I do fish lefty, I always use right handed reels. I never understood why you would cast with one arm, just to hand the reel over to the other. I cast a right handed reel in my left arm so it never leaves my hand in case of that immediate strike. That was the thought process as a kid and it just became habit. :)

Robert

·
Premium Member
3,869 Posts
You have a point about strength of your dominant arm. Personally, I am ambidextrous when it comes to sports, but my right side has always been my stronger side. I can switch hit and "switch" throw in baseball, but my power comes from my right arm. I don't know why. When casting in a fishing situation, my accuracy comes from my left arm. Bass fishing years ago, tossing a spinner bait bouncing off a stump to get up under brush was nothing for my left arm. Couldn't dream of doing it with my right. Even though I do fish lefty, I always use right handed reels. I never understood why you would cast with one arm, just to hand the reel over to the other. I cast a right handed reel in my left arm so it never leaves my hand in case of that immediate strike. That was the thought process as a kid and it just became habit. :)

Robert

Gotchya Robert, I could do a little switch hitting, but trying to throw right-handed, well I could have been responsible for the saying-- you throw like a girl :redface:
Sorry ladies :p

BTW - I use the same strategy as you-- right handed reels for me-- no need to switch the rod over--- I even know of at least one "pro" on the bass circuit that switched to left handed reels, but cast right handed-- for the same reason-- to pick up the quick strike.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.