Pier and Surf Forum banner

41 - 57 of 57 Posts

·
Registered
2,297 Posts
Discussion Starter #45 (Edited)
Garbo,got the pic up that time,after editing... It was from Rodanthe back in the 80s.. View attachment 62387
Same Pier 15 Years ago when most of current DrumPunks were in Grammar School and not as many folks could put a bait out further than me. Beard went white, I grew weaker over time. and hair went a little grey, but still have plenty of it:rolleyes: Was benching multiple reps 450 on the Cybex bench press machine in those days, tried multiple times to get to 500lbs. on that machine but never did, kept separating muscles in my neck and chest trying for 500lbs. It was only 50 additional pounds but when you have reached your limit, that is the limit....... Look forward to catching a few more in 2020.

Michael-drum-05-2.jpg

Tournament Officials are conducting official counts but it looks like this is the MAN 2019. Tournament officials do not own the rights to this photo, it was borrowed from internet for discussion purposes only. Any copyright infringement issues or complaints should be directed to MAN Tournament legal representative firm Barrow Bristow and Spongen LLP. Remember it is all tied up now in 2020 and if you got what it takes.....get on the beach this spring and make it happen.

80454387_1198531613684860_7330088145687412736_o.jpg

·
Registered
97 Posts
Looks like there is going to be some tough competition for the title in 2020. Zing has every intention on repeating but a former winner is now self employed and wants the title back. Just curios if you have a list of former winners by year Garbo? Would be interesting to see what you and Drumdum could come up with.

I've been doing a little work on the Fathoms With the help of Biker Ricky, looking to gain a little more distance and hopefully up my numbers.

·
Registered
2,297 Posts
Discussion Starter #47 (Edited)
Looks like there is going to be some tough competition for the title in 2020. Zing has every intention on repeating but a former winner is now self employed and wants the title back. Just curios if you have a list of former winners by year Garbo? Would be interesting to see what you and Drumdum could come up with.

I've been doing a little work on the Fathoms With the help of Biker Ricky, looking to gain a little more distance and hopefully up my numbers.
I have three Fathom's but if I speed them up it may just create problems, let me know what you and the Biker are up to with the adjustments and what works, I could use help with my distance also.

I saw a picture of a Street Sign on the outer highway in Nags Head, is that the person you are now referring to as self-employed? I saw some WRI Blanks for sale at the same website. The MAN tournament does strange things to people, some get mad and quit Drum Fishing if they lose...some get mad and quit their jobs:rolleyes:

In the 1980's Larry H..k was the MAN a lot of the time, Larry was a former North American distance casting champion and he was big like you and really smooth. There was also a guy named Jay "The Hopper" and there was also the Twin from Oregon Inlet who if not for time constraints from his Day Job would be at or near the top. "The Hopper" got married I think, I have not seen him in nearly 30 years. Larry H..k moved to Ohio, does not fish anymore. So two of the finest casters to ever set foot on a plank are gone in the wind..... 25 Drum in one season was a big number in the 1980's. There was also Mike H..ys who was the MAN on Avon Pier in the 1970's-1980's Mike H..ys was still fishing in 2007 but I have not seen him around lately

Here is what the list like during the 1990's, records are spotty from those days but this is the what I remember, DD can chime in and adjust the timing on the year(s) he was the MAN, or for errors on my part in trying to remember through the 420 years of my life.
There were other people who were real good but there was one was outstanding, he fished Fenwick SurfSticks and mostly I remember him using Red 9000C's. 40-50 Drum was a big number in the 1990's.

1990- Twin from Florida
1991- Twin from Florida
1992- The "Hopper"
1993- Twin from Florida
1994- Twin from Florida
1995- DD
1996- Twin from Florida
1997- Twin from Florida
1998- Twin from Florida
1999- Twin from Florida
2000- Twin from Florida

Twin from Florida in the early days, pretty much fished every tide day and night for 3 months in the Fall, none in Spring due to his Day Job. It was like a job for him mostly on Avon Pier, but also as far North as Sand Bridge and the State Line in Currituck County. The rest of us were part time DrumPro's or DrumRookies in my case as we had to work. It was real cold in those days, not like today. Today the Twin has time constraints with his Family. Time is a major factor, you have to be a great caster, have great bait, but most importantly you have to have bait in the water when the Drum are there.

I will get to the 2000's and 2010's in another post when the numbers of Drum exploded due in my mind to the REC Ban.

·
Registered
96 Posts
Congrats to Lee on another lifetime achievement award. Not only did he win The Man 2019 but he put an 80+ Lb Cobia on the beach. One of those spring nights I am pretty sure he put 17 big ones on the sand. Awesome year of fishing!

·
Registered
2,297 Posts
Discussion Starter #49
I just got done hijacking a few threads so I thought I would comment on this one since it has an open policy of hijacks are just fine.....

I am thinking of bombing out baits late at night.

I have yet to test case my custom G-Man static mag Daiwa 20, it is currently mounted on a Surf Stick and it looks like it will be decent for beach work, especially if I am not around any DrumPros picking off fish before they swim into my impact zone.

·
Super Moderator
10,102 Posts
I have three Fathom's but if I speed them up it may just create problems, let me know what you and the Biker are up to with the adjustments and what works, I could use help with my distance also.

I saw a picture of a Street Sign on the outer highway in Nags Head, is that the person you are now referring to as self-employed? I saw some WRI Blanks for sale at the same website. The MAN tournament does strange things to people, some get mad and quit Drum Fishing if they lose...some get mad and quit their jobs:rolleyes:

In the 1980's Larry H..k was the MAN a lot of the time, Larry was a former North American distance casting champion and he was big like you and really smooth. There was also a guy named Jay "The Hopper" and there was also the Twin from Oregon Inlet who if not for time constraints from his Day Job would be at or near the top. "The Hopper" got married I think, I have not seen him in nearly 30 years. Larry H..k moved to Ohio, does not fish anymore. So two of the finest casters to ever set foot on a plank are gone in the wind..... 25 Drum in one season was a big number in the 1980's. There was also Mike H..ys who was the MAN on Avon Pier in the 1970's-1980's Mike H..ys was still fishing in 2007 but I have not seen him around lately

Here is what the list like during the 1990's, records are spotty from those days but this is the what I remember, DD can chime in and adjust the timing on the year(s) he was the MAN, or for errors on my part in trying to remember through the 420 years of my life.
There were other people who were real good but there was one was outstanding, he fished Fenwick SurfSticks and mostly I remember him using Red 9000C's. 40-50 Drum was a big number in the 1990's.

1990- Twin from Florida
1991- Twin from Florida
1992- The "Hopper"
1993- Twin from Florida
1994- Twin from Florida
1995- DD
1996- Twin from Florida
1997- Twin from Florida
1998- Twin from Florida
1999- Twin from Florida
2000- Twin from Florida

Twin from Florida in the early days, pretty much fished every tide day and night for 3 months in the Fall, none in Spring due to his Day Job. It was like a job for him mostly on Avon Pier, but also as far North as Sand Bridge and the State Line in Currituck County. The rest of us were part time DrumPro's or DrumRookies in my case as we had to work. It was real cold in those days, not like today. Today the Twin has time constraints with his Family. Time is a major factor, you have to be a great caster, have great bait, but most importantly you have to have bait in the water when the Drum are there.

I will get to the 2000's and 2010's in another post when the numbers of Drum exploded due in my mind to the REC Ban.
During those times post,I also was a parttimer,Joker.. Twin from Fla won many,one of mine wasn't mentioned,as well as a few of Russel the other redhead as well......... Back then,we had no numbers like today,if you passed 20 you were doing something..... :D

·
Registered
2,297 Posts
Discussion Starter #51 (Edited)
MBG.jpg

That's Clyde's rod laying on the rail in the background. This was the 4th or 5th for me that afternoon and Clyde was getting irritated as he was on suicide watch. Rod laying next to Clyde's is my backup, on old Rodanthe you could get away with that kind of activity. 2003 or 2004 back when I was bad ass.

·
Registered
2,297 Posts
Discussion Starter #53
LIVE: Live Report from Secret Spot: LIVE

Kind of Like a Live Facebook Feed but I used a phone and talked to the RedHead about an hour ago.

No Drum yet only Sharks.

No Drum last Night only Sharks.

It will shut down later tonight around 2:00 AM when the Wind shifts NE and Hard.

Likely every FHB will be there later this afternoon at one of the Secret Spots.

If it goes off tonight, then a quick trip to the Hard NE wind secret spot will be the deal for the rest of the weekend.

·
Registered
2,297 Posts
Discussion Starter #56
I cleaned up and static magged my 6/0 today and retied the Bimini's. Getting it ready for Ulua and YFT off of Kaena Point.

I will mount in on a 1509 and slide rig live baits on it.

Will have to test it to see what kind of distance I can get with an 8 ounce sinker. At the moment it has about 75 yards of 50# shock on in. May have to reduce it some.

Not looking for a long bomb Hatteras type cast, 75 yards without a backlash will be fine.

·
Registered
1,257 Posts
I cleaned up and static magged my 6/0 today and retied the Bimini's. Getting it ready for Ulua and YFT off of Kaena Point.

I will mount in on a 1509 and slide rig live baits on it.

Will have to test it to see what kind of distance I can get with an 8 ounce sinker. At the moment it has about 75 yards of 50# shock on in. May have to reduce it some.

Not looking for a long bomb Hatteras type cast, 75 yards without a backlash will be fine.
I've had the pleasure of wetting a line at that very spot just under 20 years ago , Way different from OBX

41 - 57 of 57 Posts