Pier and Surf Forum banner

21 - 40 of 57 Posts

·
Registered
2,311 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
Yep,Redhead told me you were coming down... Weather ain't looking good today,but sat and sunday are looking better..........
They were only biting within 100 Feet of a certain place, spotty bite, around 25 or 30 paper fish yesterday before the Front came in, perhaps more, most all of them beached before I got in line.

My trip was zero for zero, not counting 2 schoolie Stripers that I caught in my cast net at my secret spot.

Funny thing about a major cold front hitting November, it draws people together

The top DrumPro's were all out in that 200 foot cordoned off area yesterday. They all said hi to me and I was glad to see them. I was given the 2019 totals and it looks like a former MAN winner who is always near the top is out in front by 10 fish. At least these DrumPro's remembered my name and seemed happy to see me. I mean if you are part of a big crowd and say the only 10 guys you know happen to be the best casters in North America and they are all there getting soaked by a hard rain along with the newer fellas and fellas who want to be DrumPro's but cannot convince the Spouse that quitting gainful employment in exchange for a life of being able to put a bait out further then the rest and with regularity night after night.

Funny thing about Darkness, yesterday morning I started fishing a 3:30 AM 200 yards South of secret spot.

At 5:00 AM the bite started with Kyle showing the way. Kyle had 3 burned off and beached 4 and then left right when I gave up and joined the crowd. It is not easy fishing a crowd, and I avoided it too long just feeding Sea Mullets and safe from a Drum Bite a scant 200 yards down the beach. At the time I was not in a mood to spend predawn with strangers and tangled lines, in retrospect I took the easy way out, and like most things in life, the rewards come from the exact opposite. If it were easy why would the same 10 guys dominate every single year, it would be 10 different guys every year, luck of the draw, well luck has nothing to do with it. I could not see this happening because it is Dark and I am 200 yards away and no one including God was yelling hey Mike you better move North 200 Yards for the next cast. The Night before there had been no real bite, so I told myself, fish by yourself and not problems, no problems about being beset by Drum anyway.

Funny thing about these Fish last weekend. If you were not at the hole, you were out of business.

Ran into the Tater Man on my way out of Buxton, his Mom would be proud of him with his beautiful locks of Hatterasman hair:rolleyes:

The real hole was at the end of Avon Pier but that was out of business, kind of like me this morning in my office:)

·
Super Moderator
10,102 Posts
They were only biting within 100 Feet of a certain place, spotty bite, around 25 or 30 paper fish yesterday before the Front came in, perhaps more, most all of them beached before I got in line.

My trip was zero for zero, not counting 2 schoolie Stripers that I caught in my cast net at my secret spot.

Funny thing about a major cold front hitting November, it draws people together

The top DrumPro's were all out in that 200 foot cordoned off area yesterday. They all said hi to me and I was glad to see them. I was given the 2019 totals and it looks like a former MAN winner who is always near the top is out in front by 10 fish. At least these DrumPro's remembered my name and seemed happy to see me. I mean if you are part of a big crowd and say the only 10 guys you know happen to be the best casters in North America and they are all there getting soaked by a hard rain along with the newer fellas and fellas who want to be DrumPro's but cannot convince the Spouse that quitting gainful employment in exchange for a life of being able to put a bait out further then the rest and with regularity night after night.

Funny thing about Darkness, yesterday morning I started fishing a 3:30 AM 200 yards South of secret spot.

At 5:00 AM the bite started with Kyle showing the way. Kyle had 3 burned off and beached 4 and then left right when I gave up and joined the crowd. It is not easy fishing a crowd, and I avoided it too long just feeding Sea Mullets and safe from a Drum Bite a scant 200 yards down the beach. At the time I was not in a mood to spend predawn with strangers and tangled lines, in retrospect I took the easy way out, and like most things in life, the rewards come from the exact opposite. If it were easy why would the same 10 guys dominate every single year, it would be 10 different guys every year, luck of the draw, well luck has nothing to do with it. I could not see this happening because it is Dark and I am 200 yards away and no one including God was yelling hey Mike you better move North 200 Yards for the next cast. The Night before there had been no real bite, so I told myself, fish by yourself and not problems, no problems about being beset by Drum anyway.

Funny thing about these Fish last weekend. If you were not at the hole, you were out of business.

Ran into the Tater Man on my way out of Buxton, his Mom would be proud of him with his beautiful locks of Hatterasman hair:rolleyes:

The real hole was at the end of Avon Pier but that was out of business, kind of like me this morning in my office:)
Sorry I missed ya friend,but timing a bite at the point without five thousand of those "wanna be's" and throwing lefty,a bit out of the "zone" ain't my cup of tea... haha I live here and will time at least one bite,using Tater as my spy,that there are not quite as many stuffed into that one little spot... Sat and watched them the day before,what a cluster ####..

Probably catch you in spring,a few more days that aren't quite as covered up and point should change enough to spread things out a bit...

Tater seems to love his locks.. :D :D I remember when I could actually grow hair and it was red in color, I did the same as him and it was just as beautiful.... :p :D

Hope your work and other things work themselves out for you Garbo..

·
Registered
2,311 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
Sorry I missed ya friend,but timing a bite at the point without five thousand of those "wanna be's" and throwing lefty,a bit out of the "zone" ain't my cup of tea... haha I live here and will time at least one bite,using Tater as my spy,that there are not quite as many stuffed into that one little spot... Sat and watched them the day before,what a cluster ####..

Probably catch you in spring,a few more days that aren't quite as covered up and point should change enough to spread things out a bit...

Tater seems to love his locks.. :D :D I remember when I could actually grow hair and it was red in color, I did the same as him and it was just as beautiful.... :p :D

Hope your work and other things work themselves out for you Garbo..
Communicated with the DrumPro who Tournament Officials believe is the #2 rated MAN contestant for 2019. There is a new Sheriff in Town and his name is Century Graphex Sport Tip Tornado I had the chance to hold this new Century stick this Spring at Ryan's, but was unable to fish it due to it at the time was the only one in America at the time and it was going to Raleigh for the tackle show that weekend instead of in my beach vehicle headed to the Point. It is thinner in profile and much lighter than the Excaliber 1200, and is rated for 225 grams instead of the typical 200 gram Century rod. It is 13' 10" and it is going to be my next Stick, unless of course I get a bargain on a few 1306 blanks. Or I may surrender and just fish my sticks I currently own.

Come to think of it I need two of these bad boys, may be difficult spacewise on a pier without a T, but one the beach should be something that will leave a mark on the average sticks, and it will sure leave a mark on the railing if you blast it at full speed:)

Out the door Graphex Sport built it is $$$ at Ryan's. But what is a few extra hundred dollars or so, if you can make bait bitches out of your competitors.

#1 DrumPro for 2019 broke 100 before the weekend's blow which has cut off participation from residents North of the Basnight Bridge. There could be what is a situation similar to when the barge took out Sections of the Bonner Bridge in 1990 and only the locals cleaned up on Drum.............I guess they deserve something for having their home cut off from the rest of the World.

·
Super Moderator
10,102 Posts
Not totally in the drink,and "supposedly" will be rebuilt with aid of nps.......... An OI captain called me going through Pea Island yesterday on my way to Manteo.. He informed me there were 10 caught that night and he caught three of those.. It is not totally over,but he also told me the folks were still packed in one spot.. Tried to talk the Tater into going last night as it was sw,but he said "no way in hell was he going to be in that mess"...... Guess he kinda takes after dad. :D Anyway,guess I be under the knife this winter to try and get my right side working again.. As is,can barely handle a light spinning rod.. Or will be lefty forever.. Got a heaver down decent,but spinner has right arm involved in fighting fish a bit more....... Hope you get down a few more times this next year...

P

·
0 Posts
If this continues, eventually Jennettes will be the only one standing.

·
Registered
2,311 Posts
Discussion Starter #29
Not totally in the drink,and "supposedly" will be rebuilt with aid of nps.......... An OI captain called me going through Pea Island yesterday on my way to Manteo.. He informed me there were 10 caught that night and he caught three of those.. It is not totally over,but he also told me the folks were still packed in one spot.. Tried to talk the Tater into going last night as it was sw,but he said "no way in hell was he going to be in that mess"...... Guess he kinda takes after dad. :D Anyway,guess I be under the knife this winter to try and get my right side working again.. As is,can barely handle a light spinning rod.. Or will be lefty forever.. Got a heaver down decent,but spinner has right arm involved in fighting fish a bit more....... Hope you get down a few more times this next year...
I have yet another of my SurfSticks on the rod machine for a redu............got a few more old sticks that I will rebuild over the winter, mostly Cobia Sticks and such. I will be all Spiffy in the Spring:rolleyes:

Pic of Tater was on the end of Avalon, could not find any of me on Avalon as my Pictures would have been taken pre-Facebook, I came across it the other day, he looks just like his Mother.

Get that Knee rehabbed so that I can go up against Team Wilson again, I have one question though why is that TomH on Team Wilson?:rolleyes: Should TomH be on Team Avalon?

Team Rodanthe has pretty much old folks now.........heard that Stanley has serious Health problems and can barely walk now, lives somewhere down in the Panhandle of Florida with his girlfriend taking care of him.

Hopefully NPS will take the job of a Avon Pier rebuild seriously especially since Frisco Pier got jacked.....

Have a Happy Thanksgiving Kenny and tell Tater to get into the Mix....before the Spineys and SandBars take over:rolleyes:

·
Super Moderator
10,102 Posts
Yesterday got a call,it was se wind and air temps felt pretty good.. I had your old rod and was throwing lefty and soaking bait with no luck.. Watched as "last year's MAN" caught 4.. Told him that my hopes were up that with all the action he was getting,MAYBE one might smell my inside bait... About two minutes later it was on.. Got one on the beach,that was my goal and was happy with that,plus things had settled a bit and no one was getting bowed up as I left... No doubt they gottem good last night as tide was set to arrive late.. This year's "MAN" was driving in as I was driving out,I am sure he had to work yesterday and had just got off.. No doubt they smoked em last night..! Anyway,your old rod fights a fish nicely and is kind to this converted lefty....... haha

·
Registered
2,311 Posts
Discussion Starter #31
Yesterday got a call,it was se wind and air temps felt pretty good.. I had your old rod and was throwing lefty and soaking bait with no luck.. Watched as "last year's MAN" caught 4.. Told him that my hopes were up that with all the action he was getting,MAYBE one might smell my inside bait... About two minutes later it was on.. Got one on the beach,that was my goal and was happy with that,plus things had settled a bit and no one was getting bowed up as I left... No doubt they gottem good last night as tide was set to arrive late.. This year's "MAN" was driving in as I was driving out,I am sure he had to work yesterday and had just got off.. No doubt they smoked em last night..! Anyway,your old rod fights a fish nicely and is kind to this converted lefty....... haha
That particular rod was built at Hatteras Jacks, both Ryan and Jim worked on it. Rod was a custom order with a butt section that had a wrap on reel seat and when it was brand new it was a real pretty stick. I debuted it for Drum on Avalon in Oct. 2004 and some snarky Drum fella came up to me and said that I was copying the Florida Twin's color scheme of Carolina Blue. It was actually a copy of a rod I built in the 1980's for a pin rigging fighting rod. That Florida DrumPro had not yet been encumbered by Family life and he was much more of a presence like every day and night for 70-90 days straight he was the machine:) I built a Zzplex Heaver in 1992 using the same color scheme of Carolina Blue. I may just build a popping rod this same color scheme this weekend for old times sake.

Before WRI came along and before Penn Fathoms and Seiglers and before Century and CTS, the 2nd gen 1509 was the rod. 15 years ago when I was more in my prime there was a Fall day on Avon when no one had a bait further out than mine and some of the folks who smoke me today were all a bit inshore...the rod resting in the notch on the rail was that same stick you used to put one on the beach last Sunday afternoon, I know that Tater had it re-done and good to hear it is still catching.

Below is this 1509 leaning on the rail by the sink last Drum of the year Avon Pier December 2017. Hope to see more pictures of it in the future around large Drum:) Found the Picture on Avon's website not sure who took it. I posted it on another thread yesterday but this is about the history of your lefty stick. Get your Knee rehabbed and I will see you in the Spring:)

Avon Drum.jpg

·
Super Moderator
10,102 Posts
That particular rod was built at Hatteras Jacks, both Ryan and Jim worked on it. Rod was a custom order with a butt section that had a wrap on reel seat and when it was brand new it was a real pretty stick. I debuted it for Drum on Avalon in Oct. 2004 and some snarky Drum fella came up to me and said that I was copying the Florida Twin's color scheme of Carolina Blue. It was actually a copy of a rod I built in the 1980's for a pin rigging fighting rod. That Florida DrumPro had not yet been encumbered by Family life and he was much more of a presence like every day and night for 70-90 days straight he was the machine:) I built a Zzplex Heaver in 1992 using the same color scheme of Carolina Blue. I may just build a popping rod this same color scheme this weekend for old times sake.

Before WRI came along and before Penn Fathoms and Seiglers and before Century and CTS, the 2nd gen 1509 was the rod. 15 years ago when I was more in my prime there was a Fall day on Avon when no one had a bait further out than mine and some of the folks who smoke me today were all a bit inshore...the rod resting in the notch on the rail was that same stick you used to put one on the beach last Sunday afternoon, I know that Tater had it re-done and good to hear it is still catching.

Below is this 1509 leaning on the rail by the sink last Drum of the year Avon Pier December 2017. Hope to see more pictures of it in the future around large Drum:) Found the Picture on Avon's website not sure who took it. I posted it on another thread yesterday but this is about the history of your lefty stick. Get your Knee rehabbed and I will see you in the Spring:)

View attachment 62141
Yep,that is the rod... Fla guy told me it isn't EXACTLY his colors,but they are close,he and his brother are using the same colors they used back in the 70's.. Tater hasn't redone you're old 09 yet,hopefully in the winter it will be sporting my colors from the 70's... Don't expect to catch as many as then,but I'm not as angry with them as I used to be either.... :D I think that pic of you is the last time you were down and staying in the rooms?? There is a lot more beach in that pic "pre Dorian" than there is now for sure... Knees are ok,shoulder could be in rehab though.. If it comes out ok,will use that rod for a lefty backup and be throwing my cts... ;)

·
Registered
3,782 Posts
@Garbo and @Drumdum - Man I missed you guys and reading all this banter and good stuff. Haven't been on in a while. A thing called life and work keeps getting in the way. I guess its better than the alternative. I'll be down that way again eventually now that I'm close to retirement. At least I won't have to throw left handed ;) ...for now...

21 - 40 of 57 Posts