Pier and Surf Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
3,745 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Fished five times this year since late April. After my last outing I think I've lost the passion to fish...

haven't caught anything significant and everytime I go fish, weather is cold and windy... man... I think I'm bad luck... my luck gotta change one of these days...

:( :( :( :(

·
Registered
3 Posts
I guess that's why it's called 'Fishing' and not 'catching' ...

I was in California for a spell, and the Salmon were driving me crazy - people around me catching monster fish day after day - and me nada...

Till the big one hit. After about 7 *days* of fishing, a 14lb salmon...

Next day, a monster... Probably near 40lbs, but I didn't have a scale, and turned him loose.

But man, it was fun!

Hang in there, it'll happen!

·
Registered
1,237 Posts
Greetings jangwuah!

Hey! At least you're getting the chance to fish! I have to read these great reports and hope there will be something biting when I can finally get out!

If you're that desperate for a fish, the sting rays will be showing up soon. If you can't hook one of them, maybe its time to start checking out what you might be transfering onto your bait with your hands.

I personally don't use soap, shampoo, or deoderant the day of a fishing trip. I gave up aftershave years ago, and never use sunblock; Bug repellant must be in a spray can/bottle only, and I never use it on my hands. I fill my gas tank the day before. Any rags I use are wet with local water, and are never washed in detergent. My cooler is scrubbed with a water/rock salt solution on the rare occassions it is cleaned. People with hangovers have barfed after opening my cooler.

I cut/prepare all the bait on a trip, so I normally develop an "air" about me, especially on a hot day. When all else fails, I scratch my testicles for "good luck". Both Ed and Carol swear I'm insane, but I generally catch the most fish. It all may be a useless ritual, but it works for me!

Looking forward to shaking hands with you....

·
Registered
712 Posts
don't give up!i started out hot 4 for 4 on perch and catfish then i went ice cold 0 for 10 until friday i got 4 stripers all 23-28lbs and a 6+lb catfish since then i can't wait to get back out there.i never had doubt that i couldn't catch fishi think i was trying too hard.while i was out friday i was using one rig and noticed 3 guys 200 yds away catching fish after fish and i said "lord what do i have to do catch one?" and it hit me like a ton of bricks "change rigs my son"after changing rigs the fist cast had me hooked up and the rest is history.so hang in there!!!

·
Registered
4,330 Posts
Jangwuah,

Hang in there! Maybe slinging some metal at IRI for chomper blues will cheer you up! As MJ said - June, July, and August the rays move into SPSP and the sharks hit AI pretty hard...

The next couple of months I will be lucky to fish at all - Military retirement stuff, moving into new house, new job... ;)

And my boat is getting dusty too..and you think you're depressed. ;)

·
Registered
1,599 Posts
A couple of times I couldn't catch a dam thing at the Tank and then I finially last year I hit the jack pot on bluefish,Rock and croacker so don't give up,it's in your blood,that BIGone is right around the corner. Hey Manayunk Jake you can fish around me any time,that's if the bugs are bothering me :D .

·
Registered
4,330 Posts
MJ,

Remind me to give you a bottle of shedder oil when I see you! ;) I use a little on my hands when fishing to increase my "funk-appeal".

...And I'll shake hands with ya! :)

·
Registered
3,744 Posts
good one joey :D

·
Registered
4,330 Posts
Jangwuah,

To catch a cow you have to hit the places that harbor them. Personally, to increase the odds of taking trophy fish, I tend to favor the Atlantic surf. Last year, they broke the tidal record with a 50 pounder! I can't see this happening at SPSP or any of the other shore areas in the bay. A boat of course increases your odds. JMHO.

M

·
0 Posts
Hey jangwuah, you missed the best spring fishing at the park, maybe it's the time that you went fishing. Anyway you still have a lot of fish to catch at the park, let me know when you can go fishing, we could fish together and maybe learn from each other, you seem like a o.k guy, I appreciate the bait you gave me, I have fished with people before who saw I was out of bait, and they had but did not offer, instead took it home with them. I could have purchased it from them, but I have given bait freely to the same person on at least two occasions. You sought me out and gave me your bait before you left, with that mindset you got to catch fish. Here's my take on fishing, luck, bait presentation,ability to land the fish and casting distance, in the above order. The distance part I cannot help you with,luck you don't always need, the other two I know.
Drop me an e-mail if you wish or let me know the day when you can fish, Sandy Point has some huge fish, speaking from experience, about five years ago I hooked a fish, no skate, that had to be over 50lbs it broke my twenty lb test line, at the time I did not know about shock leader and after casting four ounce sinker all day, the line was frayed or weakened at some part.

·
Registered
3,141 Posts
Look Man,Its all a confedence thing.If you feel good you normally catch the big one and a ton of them.You have to have confedence in your presentation,and in yourself.We all have bad days,but we all overcome.Stop whining,and get fishing :p ;youll get them. :D It has nothing to do with how you smell,or what you clean your cooler with.Have pride in your baits,and the fish will come to you ;) .

·
Registered
4,330 Posts
I read a book about party boat fishing in San Diego and the writer stressed "PFA" Positive fish attitude. The guy who hangs with it when the chips are down, tries different baits and techniques, trusts his equipment-bait-lures, and doesn't stop fishing until its time to leave - is usually the guy who catches fish when others do not. ;)

·
Registered
3,745 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Thanks guys for the info. I still have lots to learn about rigs, leaders and tackle. But, I'm sure as I fish with you guys more often I'll learn as I go.

Thanks for the offer Mcrea, I'm going to have to take you up on that offer.

·
Registered
21 Posts
jangwuah,
You and I should hang out together, it seems that I save the same luck as you (bad) and maybe our bad luck will turn into good luck. :p

As for Jake I was planning on fishing with him but I just don't know if I can now after that intense mental odiferous rendition of his outings. :D

1 - 18 of 18 Posts