Pier and Surf Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Cashing in my change jar and want to upgrade a bit. Currently have 2 medium 8’ and 2 medium heavy 10’ ugly stik big waters with penn fierce 2 4000 and 5000. I mostly soak bait but cast spoons for blues and Spanish as well. Need to be able to cast at least 3 oz. Looking for medium or medium light so fun to catch slot drum and pompano but able to handle an occasional bull red. Thinking Daiwa bg for the reel (maybe 4000 but I hear they run big). Thinking tsunami airwave elite 11’ or st croix mojo 10’ 6” medium power. Just getting one set up but that’s around the price range I can do. Anyone have any thoughts thanks

·
Registered
1,142 Posts
Tommy still has the gen 1 cast pro rods on his website. The 11 foot 2 to 5 oz rod is under $200. I think you would be way happier with that than the mojo. I've had mojo's and sold one and gave one away. The airwaves are alright. I have a 9 foot that will get occasional use. I have several cast pro rods and feel that they're well worth the money. At the moment my favorite is a 10' 1 to 4 oz gen 2 with an akios 555 that will send 2 oz and bait out of sight. Awsome mullet rod. Diawa bg's are a tank and will last forever. Have you ever used a conventional reel?

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I’ve used conventional but not a fan of them in the usually windy conditions of the Lowcountry. Usually fishing the obx, sc and Georgia lowcountry barrier islands

1 - 4 of 4 Posts