Pier and Surf Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As the title says I am looking for tips for fishing the surf in the Ocean Isle and sunset beach area. What are some of the best locations to fish? What is the best time of year? Any need to drag out my 11' spinning rod or will 7'and 9 ' do? Any other information would be appreciated.

·
Registered
609 Posts
I vacation there in August so I can tell you about my experience during that time frame. I mainly fish the beach and inlets. Lots of finger mullet in August. If you can fish the inlets (Little River inlet is on the SW side and Tubbs Inlet is on the NE side) that seems to be the best for me. Lot's of snapper Blues and Puppy Drum. A few Flounder here and there. I have seen pods of bait being smashed on the sw side of the Sunset. All within casting distance but of course I didn't have my rods with me. it's a loooong walk down there too. I tend to cast tandem rigs with Gulp or scented Zman. If beach is not crowded and I'm out just trying to catch anything, I'll use fishbites and catch a variety of panfish. I do bring my cast net to catch finger mullet for Blues and Drum. Have hooked into a few sharks. Some up to 4 feet which is a ton of fun on my smaller rods. Though most cut the line before I can land them.

I've been down in the spring and mid summer and the beach is usually too crowded to fish and too hot to just sit on the pier to fish too. If you walk a bit down towards the SW away from the pier the crowds thin out but I'm usually too much into vacation mode to drag my gear down or I didn't bring my beach cart down with me. Lol.

Depending on the time of year, I hear from the locals there are big drum. Though I hear they are mainly caught off the end of the pier. Spanish Mackerel as well. I've yet to see either landed in person buy my father in laws good friend sends me pictures when he gets into them on the pier.

My plan this year is to setup my old MTB to hold a few rods and ride down to the sw inlet. I'll be down the first week in August. Hit me up if you're down there then. Good luck and tight lines.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts