Pier and Surf Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
193 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Started using the 970 for drumming, and forgot what a great reel it is. Don't care if its slow, they are built like a rock and will withstand the test of time. Over the crap and hype of the spin doctors, trying to sell every new gimmick, back to the basics.
Willing to trade any of the following, for a excellent to mint 970-980. Penn 525T knobbie, Abu record 7800cs, abu record 7800 cs converted to ct. sl20sh with wheeler magnetic side plate. 7000 c4ld, which is the purple lever drag, and I have modified it so you can cast it. again no junk, email and can send pics of the reels, but they are mint and come complete with boxes and paperwork.
Fishing here has been sporadic, but the sure thing seems to be OI. with the resident rocks starting to show up, if you fish OI especially the north end a word of caution, do it on a falling tide.
If you are fishing an incoming and don't pay attention to what you are doing you will lose your truck, the beach is flat and the water comes back with much gusto. Water needs to drop in temps a bit and the big yankee rocks will be here.

·
Registered
1,258 Posts
man just did a search on ebay and couldn't find a one. I was gonna get one and trade you fro the knobby, but couldn't find one

·
Registered
193 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Bought two new ones from an old hardware store that went out of business, complete with information and original boxes, but going to set on them and use them as a last resort.

·
Registered
472 Posts
Welcome Back into the ranks of the True Believers

It takes a Big Man to admit that He's strayed from the one True Path

Rejoice in the Warm Glow of Salvation

Cleanse yourself of those Demonic Symbols and be Saved

·
Registered
680 Posts
k-tom. you so right. i have 2 of the 970 mags and i haven't used them lately. also on rare occassions i use 2 3500 amb. all are in great condition. i have to think about if i would part with them.

·
Registered
193 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Caught a 49" amd a 44" drum this afternoon, plus about 7 or 8 puppies. Using by the way both the 970 and 980.
I've seen the light, and never again will be tempted by spin doctors and all their hype.

They may be outdated and slow, by then again so am I and we still catch fish.

Never to sway from the path again, come on guys got plenty of abu's and foreign penn's that I can trade.

·
Registered
169 Posts
Ebay has a Penn 970 that is MINT, on there right now with five days left. No bids and it starts at 99.99 from the Boston area.

It is Ebay #3639917179

Good luck.

·
Registered
1,481 Posts
Just checked out the eBay site.
Highest (and only) bidder: kinnakeettom
Hmmm...wonder who that could be? :)

Nice catches on those drum K-tom. Heard the point has really gotten good lately. Also, got any more recent updates for OI? Thinking about running down there Sunday or maybe just keep heading south.

·
Registered
193 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Will probably hit OI monday and tuesday night and avoid the crowds, coming for t-day. N-NE wind tonight is tempting, but not on the weekend. Then again maybe after midnight. We really need colder water, for the big yankee rocks to move down.
The nice thing about it though, you can at least take em home for supper.

·
Registered
169 Posts
I didn't know if you'd be home to catch the final bidding on the 970 and how much you wanted to spend. I started to bid on it after I saw the other guy had out bid you.

Next time if anyone is watching/bidding on something on Ebay and won't be able to catch the end of it, I'd be happy to try to win it for them. I'm confined to bed 25/8 so I've got the time to wait out a bid.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts