Pier and Surf Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been fishing lately down in VA beach and SB. Its taken up my whole weekend and is quite a drive. Does anyone recomend any spots where i could pick up some blues or flounder that is around the bay? I'm pretty close to the beltway. I fished at the bridge to St. Georges a couple months ago and got tired of catching croakers (although they were big). Anyhow, some advice is much appreciated.

Addicted

·
Registered
597 Posts
Try Breezy point,
THey are catching bluefish there now and you are suppose to ba able to catch flounder as well. Look on this site for bait choices and times.

·
Registered
597 Posts
Its right below the famous North Beach a few miles or so. It has a pier although I have only fished from the beach, which I don't suggest this time of year, because the pier was not repaired the last time I was there. The peir is supposed to be productive.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for the tip guys. I think i'll try out breezy point this weekend. I'll let you know how it goes.

·
Registered
3,686 Posts
addicted,

if you go to Breezy you want to fish the tides. The western shore is more productive on the high ebb and out going tides. When I go I fish the last hour of the incoming, the high ebb all the out going and 1 hour after the low ebb. The fish seem to turn off after that. For bait take bloods and chicken. You can buy crab at the store there if you want it. Goodluck and give us a report upon your return.....Tightlines

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I've been reading that you guys use chicken for blues..I've never tried chicken for blues, mostly stuck with cutbait and metal. How should I rig it and how much should i be baiting on? Also is fishing from the beach productive? Work is never boring with this forum :)

·
Registered
3,744 Posts
Its a nice place I have driven by it last summer. I might have to try it this year some time. Hey hat, reddog or Mastercaster maybe we could hook up one day after work and do a little fishing.

·
Registered
3,686 Posts
Hey FL FISHERMAN,

sounds good to me pal. Anytime your ready give me a call. I'll PM you my numbers. Thats right, 6am to sunset. Sunset depends on whos working in the office. Sometimes it's 9pm if a good guys on he'll let you stay on the pier until 10pm

addicted,
I take chicken for the Trout and use cut Spot for the Blues but the Blues will take chicken and thats a good thing! I cut the chicken into strips about 2" long and 3/4" wide and use a oversized high low bottom rig with a 06 hook. When you bait the hook let about a inch hang off the end like a peice of porkrind....Tightlines

·
Registered
3,686 Posts
reddog1,

06 circle hooks, I've used circle hooks for five years now. Don't even have any J hooks in my tackle box anymore.....Tightlines

·
Registered
597 Posts
thanks,
what test line for the rigs or are they steel leader?

I am no longer using J hooks either.

As you could probably tell I have never caught a bluefish before so I am interested in learning what the pros use

·
Registered
472 Posts
Am I the only one who remembers searching for techniques to AVOID catching Bluefish?

Life is so wierd.

Folks are intentionally targeting Blues and Spanish Macks.

It makes me feel so OLD to be constantly wondering "Where are the Albacore, the Trout, the Flounder, the Bonita, the Dorado"?

1 - 17 of 17 Posts