Pier and Surf Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello, all. My son and I are planning a fishing trip for next June. The womenfolk will be gone on their own trip and Jake and I don’t wanna stay home and paint the house.
We are considering a number of options, including Canada, the White River of Arkansas, a largemouth bass trip to the south etc. One of our ideas is a combined Chesapeake Bay/Atlantic surf trip. I have been haunting the board and other web sites picking up tidbits of wisdom.

Here’s the deal. We’re from Cleveland. We want to catch some salty fish, with emphasis on sea trout, bluefish, and striped bass (rockfish). But we realize that we’re gonna have to go after what’s running when we’re there. (Second week of June, more or less.) This trip doesn’t have an enormous budget, but we’re not adverse to opening the wallet a little. We will mostly fish from piers/shore, but want to at least take a headboat trip or two or share a charter. (Always happy to contribute to the tank & cooler of anyone who might invite us out on their boat, as well.)

Can anyone suggest an itinerary for us, or at least some piers/beaches/jetties/tackle shops that we should pay special attention to? Same for accomodations--we plan to camp most of the time.

We’re both novices at costal fishing, done just a wee bit of it. So any and all advice, no matter how basic, will be appreciated.

Thanks!

·
Registered
4,457 Posts
If you know how to use the PM feature

PM me and I'll respond with some suggestions. Would be too long of a post for here.

·
Registered
472 Posts
You can't beat Deleware, in June.

The campground at IRI puts you right in the middle of a tremendous variety of saltwater opportunities.

Surf, Pier, Inlet, Headboat and Charter fishing are all right there, and the Deleware Bay is at it's best in June.

The Eastern Shore of the Chesapeake is only an hour away. ( And Yes, the fabled "Choptank" is only an hour and a half up the road.)

Ocean City Inlet, AI and Chincoteague are all within easy reach, but the 2nd week in June is "Seniors" week in OC, and the traffic is terrible.

Watch out for "Barney Fife" and his "Dagsboro Speed Trap." The most common mistake "out-of-towners" make, in "lower" Delaware, is being from out-of-town.

Don't take it personal, think of it as just another tax.

·
Registered
3,141 Posts
Watch Out during the Summer!

Yeah,Also watch out for speed traps in Elendale and Rt 1 just before Lewes;my agressive driving got me in trouble.Won't drive like that ever agian.:p

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
You're ahead of me, Smoothbore54

What or where is the IRI? How about the AI? And what can we catch in the places you mentioned? I'm a pilgrim and don't know much.

thanks!

·
Registered
4,329 Posts
Smoothbore54 said:
...Watch out for "Barney Fife" and his "Dagsboro Speed Trap." The most common mistake "out-of-towners" make, in "lower" Delaware, is being from out-of-town.
If you cross over the Deleware Memorial Bridge from 95N, be careful - They have speed traps all over the place. Don't even go 5 MPH over the speed limit there. :eek:

1 - 7 of 7 Posts