Pier and Surf Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys, hope all is well. I'm just getting back into serious fishing and wondering if anyone knew some good spots to try out around Yorktown, Newport News, or Hampton area. I don't have a boat so keep that in mind. Mainly looking for a good striper spot but i'm open to anything.

·
Registered
3,387 Posts
Ok It has been a while since I have posted here. There are two public piers, one in Yorktown and another at Gloucester Point (the better of the two), Also you have the creeks along the Parkway to work with. There are other shore spots around York County and such (parks). If you have access to the Military bases there are other options.

·
Registered
56 Posts
I caught a few small stripers in the York River off the Gloucester pier. Soft plastics.

Other than these fish, I've been unimpressed with the York. No trout or reds. See some people catching croaker from time to time but that's it.

Maybe someone can clue us in to other spots on the river that are more productive.

·
Registered
1,284 Posts
I caught a few small stripers in the York River off the Gloucester pier. Soft plastics.

Other than these fish, I've been unimpressed with the York. No trout or reds. See some people catching croaker from time to time but that's it.

Maybe someone can clue us in to other spots on the river that are more productive.
Try up and down the parkway. Specs have been small so far but plentiful around Hampton, must have caught around 200 by now but only 2 reached 14" caught over 20 striper but only one legal to keep. Soft plastics, and live minnows. Kicked up a couple of flounder last week too everything is small.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Try up and down the parkway. Specs have been small so far but plentiful around Hampton, must have caught around 200 by now but only 2 reached 14" caught over 20 striper but only one legal to keep. Soft plastics, and live minnows. Kicked up a couple of flounder last week too everything is small.
This is 2nd or third time I've heard mention of that. I'm still learning the area. What exactly does that mean? Get on the parkway, drive until you find a bridge, and pull over and fish? I'm perfectly fine with that, but want to make sure I understand it correctly. I think I see some spots on the map....

·
Registered
1,284 Posts
You nailed it, collage creek bridge is a good one, fast and deep water, but I'd fish them all if I had too. I've also parked at the visitor center and walked to the park next to the ferry at night, don't fish on the ferry pier though.

·
Registered
598 Posts
Other than the places already mentioned and the coast guard & Cheatham Annex piers (if you have access), I don't think there is lot of opportunity from land to catch puppy drum and specs in the York. The best action there is from a kayak or boat on the flats and grass beds at the mouth of the river. Also, this has not been a good year for specs & puppy drum, especially mid bay. It will probably be a couple more years before we see them in sizes and numbers as we did in 2013 & 2014 and that's provided we have a milder winter this year at least. The striper fishing should only get better as the water Temps drop. The 1st two creeks up the parkway from the Naval Weapons Station, Felgates & Indian Fields Creek are good places to start.

·
Registered
276 Posts
You nailed it, collage creek bridge is a good one, fast and deep water, but I'd fish them all if I had too. I've also parked at the visitor center and walked to the park next to the ferry at night, don't fish on the ferry pier though.
Can you fish the college creek bridge at night? I thought I remember a ranger telling me that I could not fish any of the parkway at night.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Seems like you can fish on the York river section of the parkway at night and not the James section. Yes, the rangers will tell you to leave after dark. Or you can turn those bluish LED lights on your hat off, move fast, and take your chances.

·
Registered
1,284 Posts
Can you fish the college creek bridge at night? I thought I remember a ranger telling me that I could not fish any of the parkway at night.
Not the parkway. I'm talking about the campground next to the ferry at Jamestown. I've parked at the visitor center and walked there before late night but haven't done it last year or this one yet things could have changed. Do not fish from the ferry dock.

·
Registered
3,387 Posts
I have not hit there this year but in years past it has been no problem. There are several others that you can not fish at night, well the signs say so.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts