Pier and Surf Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Good morning,
I am looking for an 11’ spinning rod rated some where around 4- 8oz for my wife to use occasionaly. Not looking to break the bank but willing to pay for a good qualty rod.

·
Registered
964 Posts
Give Daiwa a look. They have several that might work fine for occasional use. I bought several of the Beefstick in various lengths, and they were fine for occasional use dunking baits, and I've used them for tossing big, heavy wood lures too.

I never got to do much surf fishing, but when we went on vacation, I also had to supply the gear for the family. They're fiberglass, so a bit old school, but very tough and won't break the bank. There are better rods, but whether it's worth paying more for having them sit most of the time and not being used, that's your call. It wasn't worth it to me to buy better rods, and I used fiberglass rods when I was young, so, an easy choice for me.

It's been several years since I've been to the coast to fish, so now use them occasionally, for catfishing in the lake where I now live. Daiwa doesn't get the credit they deserve either, but I've never had any issues with these "cheap" rods.

·
Registered
110 Posts
Yep- just outfitted my buddy, who isn't a hardcore surfman, with three Daiwa rods and a Quantum I had. One is an 11 beefstick, old brown one, and one is 11 Eliminator as I had several. Just returned from beach and they worked nicely with 4-5 oz and would do six, but that flexes a bit. Just fine for spiking where you're not trying to reach orbit.

·
Registered
964 Posts
Yep- just outfitted my buddy, who isn't a hardcore surfman, with three Daiwa rods and a Quantum I had. One is an 11 beefstick, old brown one, and one is 11 Eliminator as I had several. Just returned from beach and they worked nicely with 4-5 oz and would do six, but that flexes a bit. Just fine for spiking where you're not trying to reach orbit.
I was told that the Beefstick are "junk", but for the occasional use I had intended, and them being fiberglass, plus the price, I was willing to risk that they would do what was needed. I have no complaints one bit about them. They are tough.

I'm not even sure what brand the first surf rod was that I had bought. It was around 1980, and I got it as a combination, so likely a fiberglass Shakespeare or something similar. I don't even recall the store. It was again, only for occasional use. At that time, I was newly married and we would go to Ocean City, MD for vacation, and I always wanted to fish, and did any surf fishing for only about a week a year. So, I bought that setup, and it was eventually lost in a house fire around '86.

I now live in SC, next to Santee Cooper and have not been to the coast since 2013. I've had a few of those Beefstick rods since around 2006, and added a few more in 2010, and a couple for that week in 2013, both spent at Pawleys Island. I have 9 of them now, 8 spinning & one conventional from 8' to 12'. Now, if they get any use, it's for tossing some bait chunks in the lake for catfish, for which they also do a fine job. (y)(y)

·
Premium Member
438 Posts

·
Registered
442 Posts
I have actually threw one of the Ticas this morning. It’s a great rod honestly. I’m at Hatteras again. It looks like a carnival came to town down on 55. One of my dogs has a bum leg and we just decided to leave after high tide. As far as people catching fish I have not saw much. One thing about social media is that you never get a true picture of what is actually happening. Seriously thinking of just boat fishing from here out.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Fiblink Saphire, 11ft, 2pc, rated 2-6oz but can handle more. I have a gaggle of Fiblink rods and all are performers on the cheap. Cheap? $52 on Amazon. The 12ft 4-8oz version is $60.

That's interesting about the Fiblink surf rod
I have a 4 piece Fiblink travel spinning rod
(about 7 ft long fast action) that I bought recently for an easy to pack as a medium size inshore rod. Used in a number of days to carch mangrove snapper off the Anna Maria island pier. I was very pleased with how the rod performed at a cery good price. Looks like they make offshore trolling rods as well as surf rods.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Ditto with BeachBob. Been using Berrypro 11' casting and Fiblink 12' spin surf rods; each 2 piece. Cheap (and quality is surprisingly good), I think $60 ea via Amazon, and the rods perform very well. Wouldn't mind buying more.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts