Pier and Surf Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
215 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am looking for a surf fishing reel to use a few times each year. I am trying to keep the cost under 50 dollars. I already have two shimano 6500's and a penn 105c to use. I want another reel to use with another surf rod I got for christmas. I was thinking about a okuma, or a diawa juniper reel. I saw a quantum reel real cheap, but I don't know much about their quality. Does anyone know about tica reels since I can get my hands on one really reasonable?

·
Registered
1,481 Posts
I picked up a Jarvis Walker 6000 off of ebay for about $40. It's a little bigger than my Penn 6500ss and is very smooth. I have yet to get anything big enough to test the drag. I have the Jarvis Walker 2000 which is smaller to the Penn 4400ss and I've had a blast with it and tested the drag plenty with schoolies. That was picked up at $30 on Ebay.
Some guy (tackle shop owner) up in NJ bought these at closeout and he's unloading them on ebay.

·
Registered
904 Posts
I bought a back up reel for "guests" that wanted to go surf fishing. Silstar, cheap and for the most part dependable. Under $40.00 and I have caught some pretty fair sized stripes with it...

·
Registered
270 Posts
Okuma! Definetly! Excellent reel. Got two I fished this summer (AV 50 and 80). No better at twice the price. You buy it and if you are not satisfied, I'll buy it from you. Promise! (You pay shipping ;) ) Neither sold for more than $45 at local tackle shop and digitaldagger has them now for less than $40. The new AXION is more expensive, but looks real good (AXS).

:cool:

·
Registered
215 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I'm bidding on a tica sh 7000 on ebay right now. If I don't get it I'm going to pick up a Jarvis Walker nexium 6000 by penn. I found it new for $28.00, you can't beat that. If for some reason I'm not able to get it, I'll try the okuma. Glad to hear they are a good reel. I wish I was good at baitcasting so I could really heave it out there.

·
Registered
4,408 Posts
Wal-Mart has a Shakespeare spinning reel for 19.99, I have one on my medium action rod. I swear by Wal-Mart stuff, because I can't afford anything nice, and even if I could, I'd manage to lose it. :D

·
Registered
45 Posts
In my book, Winter's only good for one thing: Blowout fishing equipment deals. I mean, who else but a diehard fisherman is going to buy rods & reels when the temp's -2 below zero ? So go to this website:
http://www.digitaldagger.com/

And click on "Rod/Reel Combos New". then scrool down to the Okuma They're selling the rod AND reel, for less than $40. If that doesn't suit you, go over to:
http://www.discountfishing.biz/

Where they're selling a different setup, for a dollar more. You'll pay $100 each this June. When you've finished getting your rig cheap, go to:
http://www.avalonpier.com/

Click on "Back to the pier house", then click on "pier cam", and after you've finished looking at the pier, go back to the home page, and click on "advisory", as in weather. BRUTAL !

1 - 7 of 7 Posts