Pier and Surf Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 7' 1 piece rod I use for throwing gotchas off of piers. I would like to buy a rod that is two piece with a short handle for the same purpose. Any suggestions. Its may purpose is for catch spanish mackeral.

·
Registered
315 Posts
Hello Hopper.

I dunno. I have seen a lot of folks have their two piece rod come apart while fishing gotchas. Kinda embarrissing too!

Seven foot is a bit long IMHO. You can find the shorter butt rods in about a 6' single piece. Check out fresh water bass tackle.

·
Registered
1,257 Posts
I agree with DavB. I like a 6' one piece fast action for throwing Gotchas and bucktails. Bass gear works well.

·
Registered
186 Posts
Hopper,
IMO a 7 footer isn't too long for throwing gotcha's, however you will be lucky to find one with a short butt section. If you insist on the short butt take DaveB's advice and check out some freshwater bass tackle. I have a Shakespeare Synergy spinning rod and Berkely Lighting baitcaster, both 6 1/2 footers that do well for throwing gotchas even though the Berkely is a little better because of the faster tip. Just shop around and see what feels right.
Tight lines and popped riggers.

·
Registered
823 Posts
6-7' is good for gotcha's medium action. finding the short butt will be the hard part

·
Registered
10 Posts
I personallly use a two piece 7 ft lightning rod that works well. Its got a fairly short butt and a fast tip that works well with Got-chas.

·
Registered
112 Posts
The 7' or 6'6" ugly stiks are good for throwing gotchas. I believe they are 2 pc. though. I would suggest getting an ugly stik lite because they are rated for smaller lb. test. Remember---8 lb. will always throw farther/ better than 12 lb.---just use a flourocarbon leader and it will work great.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Gotcha Rods

:cool: Evening , the answer to your rod dilema may be the 6' One Piece Rods propose built for using Gotcha's. There "Gotcha Rods". Thats right there built by Gotcha and have the just right action required for casting Gotcha plugs. You might also want to try the New"Pole Cat" lures. There built on the same platform as Gotcha's with one main difference. Each "Pole Cat" lure head comes in different colors. The Bubble Gum,Red and Green Headed versions slam Speckled Trout, Blues and Spanish. The bodys come in too skin versions. Both Scaled bodies. The best series have a Holographic image that changes colors reflectively from Purple to Green depending on Water color Clarity, as well the amount of direct sunlight cast on the water. Simply Meaning that on clear bright days the lure appears a different color than on overcast days,etc. Try one you'll be pleased...I have them in stock at Ocean Crest Pier. You may e-mail for ordering from my webpage at oceancrestpier.com. Dave

1 - 8 of 8 Posts