Pier and Surf Forum banner

LongRanger question if I may

1K views 9 replies 3 participants last post by  HuskyMD 
#1 ·
Out on AI (be starting back up in September, and can be lots of nor'easters), usually use 15 lb line and 30 - 40 lb shock. Now usually no people around Jeep far enough out of the way is this enough shock leader for "minimal damage"?

Also, in casting competition what amount of lead is used by the participants? (just for knowing what weight goes with distance casting).

Been going down to the community beach (hardheads and small white perch), throwing 2 - 3 lead, but have to start "heaving" heavier for the fall business. What weight should I be practicing with for the most benefits?

Thanks in advance.

#2 ·
Hi Shaggy,

I'll try to answer as well as I can. If you are a right caster the danger zone is on your right for the Off the Ground or Pendulum cast. For a Hatteras or overhead cast it is behind you. Make sure that the Jeep and other people are someplace else. I would never use less than 10# per ounce under any conditions.

Under Sportcast USA rules we cast with 150 gram (5.29oz) and a 15 gram (4.4oz) sinkers. I use a 5oz sinker on The Bay. If the water is rough I use 150 Gram Breakaway grip sinker.

There are no shortcuts. If you use a 30# leader and 5oz sinker you run the risk of losing your rigs during the cast. You'll just have to start over.

I hope this helps.

#3 ·
Thanks for the info.

Usually just me and the Jeep on AI (or my brother if we can coordinate schedules).

I'm and overhead caster, but could distance be gained using the pendilum cast?

Okay and another question, if I had to go up to 8 oz or even 10 oz of lead, is there a smaller diameter 80lb or 100lb line that would not lose distance in the wind, or do I have no idea of what I'm talking about? Always thought the higher the test, the higher the diameter of the line, the more wind and currents (line resistence) would effect casting and bottom holding.

#4 ·
Hi Shaggy,

I will take your question in order. The pendulum is the last step in a series of casting styles. Most people make the mistake of thinking that a pendulum is the best cast. It depends on the conditions and the caster. A good Off the Ground (OTG) cast is better than a bad pendulum cast. The big advantage to the OTG is that the sinker always starts in the same place on the ground. With the pendulum, the sinker is always changing location behind you. Any flaws in your OTG will be magnified in your pendulum. The pendulum is a great cast once you can cast 600 plus feet OTG.

I’ve only thrown 8oz once in my life and I don’t plan to ever try it again. I’ve used 80# leader to fish without any problems in the Outer Banks, so an 80# leader is fine. You may want to give the 175 gram Breakaway grip sinker a try in place of the 8oz sinker. Mark Edwards can cast 8 and bait over 500 feet with an overhead cast. I wouldn’t be surprised if he could cast over 600 using his pendulum. Once you understand the technique, you’ll quickly fine your limits. Your distance will increase over time. And, it won’t take long.

It is better to use a line drive when casting into the wind. If you cast high the wind slow the line and the sinker.

Please raise these same questions at the “Going the Distance” clinic next month. You’ll be in the company of very experienced anglers from all over the east coast that are all willing to share knowledge. I can’t wait to listen and learn from the masters.

If you can make it, you should meet us in Kenilworth Park on Saturday from 9am – 12noon. I don’t expect more than three or four people; some are away on vacation. Paul and Larry fish the ocean often and I’m sure they would like to meet you.

#5 ·
Like I said on your other thread, sometimes life throws a curve and you whiff. Have to work Saturday, from 7am till 4pm. But please keep posting on upcoming lessons (or seminars if that is proper), and hopefully I'll be able to hit the ball. September is just around the corner (when AI livens up for us, less tourists and bugs, some blues and stripers), and would like to go into the fall with a bit more knowledge than I left the beach with this spring.

#7 ·
Alright, now I am feeling really novice, what is a breakaway grip sinker?

Tricks of the trade on the breakaway, and what type of line do you use for your shock leader?

Know you get to SPSP, and I want to meet up with you, or at one of your seminars (lessons), be happy to buy bait and pay for gas, if you pay my toll back over the Bay Bridge:) .

#8 ·
Hi Shaggy,

Clip on the "Rigs" button on the top left corner of the link below.

http://breakaway-tackle.co.uk/new/frames.htm

When you turn the wire toward your line they hold bottom. On the retrieve, the wires flip around so that you can reel in without them catching on the bottom. You can get them at some Wal-Marts and various tackle shops. I may be at SPSP next week. I fish mid-week to avoid the crowds. How is the fishing at Romancoke? I have not been there this year. Maybe we can meet there one evening? Once you get a grip on casting you will be unstoppable.

#9 ·
Getting ready to head out now (not quite Romancoke, but the community beach about 30 seconds from the house), between the Bay Bridge and Matapeake pier. Lately some decent size hardheads, first catfish this year and first eel also from there earlier this week. Been catching some small white perch, but don't keep them. Usually peeler and bloods. Love to get together with you.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.