Pier and Surf Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I asked Longcasters.org if they would be willing to come to the Tidewater area for a casting seminar. I told him I thought it would be well received by many from our area.
Here's what they said:

"We'd be interested in the possibility of having one there in August or September. I'd like to know if you know of a place to hold it. We'd need a large field and a building in the event of rain. Also, we'd need affordable places for people to stay. You have any idea, we'd like to hear them. Thanks in advance."
James [email protected]

Well, what do you all think? Any ideas?
sitdown

·
Registered
337 Posts
Possible Room Hook-Ups...

I don't know of any parks to have it in, but I do have some connections at the courtyard marriott in chesapeake. They are currently booked, as are most of the hotels in the area, because of the sniper trials, but i can see what kinds of discounts I could get if I know how many rooms are needed. Just let me know.

Todd

·
Registered
4,222 Posts
BPS

How about at bass pro shop. I heard they have a nearby pond for anglers to test their lures... just an idea... maybe they can work something out w/ the bass pro shop people...

crawfish

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the help. I'll mention it to longcasters. In fact, I'm going to tell them to visit P&S so they can see what others are saying about the topic.

·
Registered
8,022 Posts
longcasters

Th BPS thing wont work. Some of th guys that would be coming down are tossing 700'+. Its gonna need a field,possibly a park or football field.

BTW I would be very interested in atending such a seminar if it comes around here.

·
Registered
571 Posts
Thanks for the input. We had over 60 people in Delaware last August over two weekends. We need a field that is 600 feet and 400 feet wide. We use baseballs for traning. However, we also like to use leads so that people can see real world conditions. We also like having a building in the event of rain. We'd have to be far from the beach so that the room rates are reasonable for people that would travel in from NC. Let me know if you have any suggestions. And once again thanks. By the way, if we do it, it will feature three time World champion Neil Mackellow again. You can see a video of this years clinic on our website. Go to the movie link.

Thanks.

·
Registered
118 Posts
has anyone looked into the va beach soccer complex know there are some feilds there. how about an abandonded store parking lot? there are plenty of those around. how about looking into using a school facility they would have a football, baseball practice feild and the gym if it is raining. I am sure we could find someone on here who is in the PTA.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
If it can be held in October the rates will be cheaper and there is a hotel right across from Harrison's Pier. We'll have to work on finding a building, though. Just a thought. We need to hear more input in here
I work at the Ford Truck Assembly plant in Norfolk. Someone suggested I bring up the topic in our next union meeting. We may be able to get participants there and our union will pay for the member's fee through the Local union recreation
fund.
How much is the seminar per person?

·
Registered
5,771 Posts
The last casting compitition I went to was at Virginia Weslyn Collage. It seem to work out alright for them and it has buildings that can be used with permission. There is a hotel right across the street on Nnorthhampton Blvd.

Rick

·
Registered
571 Posts
Thanks for taking a interest. I have printed copies of the thread so I can show it to our board. I'll also send a copy to Neil Mackellow for his comments.

There is a video of this years clinic on our website in the movie section.

This year's clinic was $100.00 for two full days. Delaware was too far for people from Virgina and North Carolina so maybe this year we can bring it to Virginia Beach. I will keep you posted. Thanks again for being so helpful.

·
Registered
251 Posts
How about TCC Portsmouth Campus

Not sure on who to talk to about this but they have a huge field one to play soccer on and another huge field that people usually throw frisbies and play football on. I used to pass it everytime I went fishing out there. Even fired up the grill there once.

As far as hotels go, there is a whole strip of them on Western Branch Blvd

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Yeah, Tidewater Community College will work fine. There are hotels close too. Will be cheaper than Virginia Beach when held in August or September.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts