Pier and Surf Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hubby and I are tired of trying to learn freshwater fishing and really enjoy pier and saltwater fishing better. We want to learn surf fishing and aren't set up at all for it. We don't want to spend a ton of money on our first 2 poles. Could you give some advice? Thanks

DG

·
Registered
232 Posts
Domestic,

To get started, I would recommed an 8ft "starter" spinning setup from any X-mart store in the $30-$40 range. An 8ft rod will not be to long for use on a pier and is ok for surf use, a happy medium. The spinning real is easier to use for beginners. If the saltwater bug bites hard, then you can move into gear that is more in tune for what you fish for mostly. Big fish, big gear. (At that time, the board will answer all questions pertaining to more expensive equipment.) The 8ft will rule on all small fish from piers/surf. Pick up some sandspikes for use on the beach, some standard 2 hook bottom rigs, 3 and 4 ounce weights, squid, bloodworms and its on! Also, if you are in Virginia, pick up a saltwater license for $7.50 at the Walmart. Comes in handy for local police patrols. Welcome to pier and surf fishing! Tight lines!

Macman :D

·
Registered
551 Posts
Hi "Domestic_Goddess and Hubby",
If you are fortunate and live close to a Wal-Mart, K-Mart or Sports Authority you should be able to purchase a 12 foot 2 piece fishing rod that should cost somewhere in the $30 to $40 range. I get the impression that you already own freshwater fishing equipment so just use one of your larger freshwater reels on the new 12 foot fishing rod. This will get you fishing while spending the least amount of money.

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks MacMan for the info and the Saltwater bug hit a couple of years ago. Thought I'd try freshwater to fill in but I really don't like it much. Need to find closer places to saltwater fish.

Longcaster, thanks so much for your info also. I appreciate your expertise and willingness to suggest walmarts, etc.

·
Registered
232 Posts
Your quite welcome! Actually, I can't take any credit here. I read those same suggestions in a little yellow book from a local fisherman here in Va Beach, Henry Billups. It is called "A Saltwater Guide for the Weekend Fisherman" It gave me great ideas on introducing my children/nephews to saltwater fishing. Tight lines! :D

Macman

W

·
0 Posts
Greetings Domestic Goddess. It's great to hear of more husb and wife teams. My wife Maxine, is "my buddy Max" when we're fishing. And it gets competitive between us -and a lot of fun. And too, I never have to "sneak in the house with a new piece of equipment."
Ha ! One day while I was at Oceans East enjoying a coffe and conversation with Tom Michaels (a friend for over 30 years whom owns that tackle shop), in walks my better half while I was paying for another rod.
She asked, " wow. Let me feel that. " Nodding her head in approval, she asked,
" Tom, do you have another of these rods ", Tom laughed, and pointed to the corner.
" Right over there dear ", he replied.
So that's our story.
If you and hubby are ever interested in a fishing a foursome, drop us a line on board mail. Heck we'll get together somewhere.
And "Oh By The Way " you mentioned new "poles?".....
You know the difference between a fishing rod - and a fishing pole ?
The difference is around a hundred dollars!
There is some good advice here. Try hooking your largest existing reel to a salt water rod. But with one reservation-be sure to rinse them well after each use - whether you used it or not - even exposed to salt air.
Use warm water (not hot nor cold) and a gentle spray until all the salt is washed away.
And oil them lightly with each use. That way, they will last you indefinately with no problems. Also when the cold weather "and the years best fishing arrives", we take ours into the house and stand them up in the shower - after the outside water has been cut off and faucets covered for the winter.
OK ? Then Tom over and out.

:rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

1 - 7 of 7 Posts