Pier and Surf Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I wanna pair a abu garcia blue yonder 7000 reel with a 12 foot bass pro shop ocean master rod. Would this be a good combo for long distance surf casting? Im new to pairing separate rods and reels, and if there is a better combo i could buy for around 300 i wpuld like to know. Any advice is appreciated!

·
Registered
3 Posts
Buy the Penn Fathom II Star Drag Model FTHII15SD. It has a free floating spool for distance. $200. It has magnetic casting control to help avoid backlash. It can also be upgraded in the future with ABEC 5 bearings for more speed, or a mono-mag if you want to get fancy. A very versatile reel that is popular with the distance casters on the east cost for bull reds and in Florida for pompano. It doesn't have level-wind, which cuts distance significantly and increases backlash. Buy from Matt at www.reelkustomreels.com and ask him to tune it for you. Learn to use a non-level wind, You Tube videos are available. Spool it with a soft 17 - 20 lb mono. I use pro spec chrome, but there are many to choose from. You can try 50 lb braid if you want. Attach the appropriate leader for the fish you target. I go with 40 ft of 50lb shock leader for red drum.

Get a 12ft+ rod that can handle a conventional reel. Ocean Master should work. Penn Carnage is in that price range. Many in that price range $100 - 200 will be set up for spinning, but can be used for conventional reels. Breakaway HDX 13' Loncasting rod can be ordered conventional, but is $260. You Tube search for "Hatteras Cast". Practice on grass using lead weight with the mag adjusted on max until you see where your limits are.

·
Registered
1,275 Posts
Buy the Penn Fathom II Star Drag Model FTHII15SD. It has a free floating spool for distance. $200. It has magnetic casting control to help avoid backlash. It can also be upgraded in the future with ABEC 5 bearings for more speed, or a mono-mag if you want to get fancy. A very versatile reel that is popular with the distance casters on the east cost for bull reds and in Florida for pompano. It doesn't have level-wind, which cuts distance significantly and increases backlash. Buy from Matt at www.reelkustomreels.com and ask him to tune it for you. Learn to use a non-level wind, You Tube videos are available. Spool it with a soft 17 - 20 lb mono. I use pro spec chrome, but there are many to choose from. You can try 50 lb braid if you want. Attach the appropriate leader for the fish you target. I go with 40 ft of 50lb shock leader for red drum.

Get a 12ft+ rod that can handle a conventional reel. Ocean Master should work. Penn Carnage is in that price range. Many in that price range $100 - 200 will be set up for spinning, but can be used for conventional reels. Breakaway HDX 13' Loncasting rod can be ordered conventional, but is $260. You Tube search for "Hatteras Cast". Practice on grass using lead weight with the mag adjusted on max until you see where your limits are.
^^ this minus the braid part. You don't want braid on a conventional reel for distance casting, you will blow up and braid is expensive to respool. I would go akios before abu. Personal opinion new abu's are ...... there's just better out there. Penn fathom2 and squall 2 in the 12 and 15 size are great you don't need or want anything larger for a distance casting reel. 17#mono is ideal main line.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts