Pier and Surf Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I seem to have finally found a site that profides fish reports in my area but also good information. My question is probably the one most commonly asked but here goes. I want to start surf fishing and would like a few pointers on line size, hook size, rig setup, bait choice and good locations. I live in Cary, NC and have a 4-wheel drive pick up. The outer banks in diffently in reach for a weekend trip. I want to do a weekend between now and end of November. I'm thinking camping to keep the cost down for my son-in-law and myself. Any pointers and words of wisdom would be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
983 Posts
how you doin bro, welcome to the family, and yea to give an answer to your assumption, that is the #1 most asked question by new members, but it is also a very dangerous question to ask around here, the answer is based on personal prefference, location, and what species you are targeting, if you narrow down the question it would help alot, there is no one universal set up, so there is no general answer we can give you, another good idea would be to get ahold of the boys in the board for your area, they should be able to help alot, and im sure some of them would be happy to take a trip with you to actually show you how to git-r-done :rolleyes: we got a great group of guys here, so never be afraid to ask a question, the only stupid question truely is the one not asked ;)

hope this helps some Tight lines and God bless bud :fishing:

·
Registered
633 Posts
Welcome to the family! Like catfish said dont be afraid to ask anything! Theres very nicee and experienced people here that are willing to help you with whatever it is you need! Like catfish said narrowing down your question would help alot! Try putting wether you want a conventional or spinning setup,what you are targeting, sharks, drums, etc.mono or braid, once thats taken care of youll get an answer in no time!tight lines!

·
Super Moderator
3,417 Posts
Welcome to P&S!

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Narrowing the question

Thank you all for your comments. I guess I do need to be more specific.

I currently have a 12ft open face surf rod.
I would like to fish for red drum.
Live bait, cut bait, artificial bait?????
I don't know the difference between mono and braided.
I would like to know where a good accessible area that I can drive my 4X4 that would be at the lower end of the Outer Banks.

Any help would be great. :redface:

·
Registered
1,728 Posts
Thank you all for your comments. I guess I do need to be more specific.

I currently have a 12ft open face surf rod.
I would like to fish for red drum.
Live bait, cut bait, artificial bait?????
I don't know the difference between mono and braided.
I would like to know where a good accessible area that I can drive my 4X4 that would be at the lower end of the Outer Banks.

Any help would be great. :redface:
cut bait, mullet, bunker etc... get'em at Red Drum or Frank & Frans... fish just north or south of the point at Buxton, access it just south of the Red Drum in Buxton... follow the signs to the light house and keep on going to the water...

short fish finder rigs, minimum 6oz, carry up to 8oz... if you need more then that carry plenty of frosties and watch the waves come in...

you aint experienced the point yet, after you're out there you'll know what I'm talking about...

air down, bring a high lift jack, a couple 18" squares of ply wood a long handled shovel and a tow strap, heavy enough to tow your vehicle out... drive like you got some good sense and you'll do aight... come on down, forget how you act at home and enjoy the OBX... it's a whole different attitude... :cool:

·
Registered
134 Posts
Time

Spend a good bit of time soaking up the info on this board & then pick a weekend & go . you will learn so much from just being down there & talking to other fisherman . If I had to give one piece of advice it would be to learn your knots . Good luck

1 - 9 of 9 Posts