Pier and Surf Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When you are livelining a perch or spot do i need a special reel or set the drag real loose?Thanks for any help:)

·
Registered
3,744 Posts
Well it shouldn't be your reel that you use to catch small baitfish. I mean u could use it but your chances of getting a big striper are good and you wouldn't want to lose it because you couldn't handle the fish with it. And to answer your question about the drag NO. You don't want your drag all the way loose because when that striper first taking your bait he is gonna run like a bat out of hell. Which in turn will leave you with a nice birds nest on your rod and no fish on the end. They make special reels for livelining. Bait runners. Penn, Shimano, Okuma..... They cost more than your average reel but are well worth it. Another thing to remember is to wait when a fish takes your liveliner for a few seconds. Most of the time the striper swallows the bait whole. But if he hit it from the side he will still run for a few seconds then spit it out and then swallow it head first and run again. I have only had this happen two times but it does happen. If you pull when they have it like that you most likely won't get a hookset and will spook the fish. There is something some of you rookies might not know yet;) :D

·
Registered
490 Posts
FL you are on line more then flea I realy think you need to find a women, this isn't healthy.:rolleyes:

·
Registered
3,744 Posts
Ha I don't think you are the only one to notice. I have posted about 500 times in the past month. If you date that back, that is when my girlfriend left to Ohio. I don't mind that much because I am just fishing as much as possible. I actually think Anthony's girlfriend hates me right now. I call him like every two days to see if he can go fishing. Right now I am just living the single life and loving it. I miss my girl but at least I can fish whenever I want. Hey what ya think I should ask flea if I can be the Md/De moderator huh! Hee Hee:D Oh to be young again...wait I am still young, shoot I better go out and live it up while I can!:D

·
Registered
2,214 Posts
I thought you were trying to set a new P&S record with all the post. I think you did.:D

·
Registered
2,263 Posts
I think he's trying to catch Sandcrab :). If I was single, I'd probably be putting Jason to shame posting wise. I'd probably be going fishing every weekend and a few times during the week if my girlfriend ever left me. Besides, I'd rather have him post all the time than catch all the fish. ;)
-Anthony

·
Registered
4,330 Posts
No special live-lining reels are needed...

FL FISHERMAN said:
...They make special reels for livelining. Bait runners. Penn, Shimano, Okuma..... They cost more than your average reel but are well worth it.

Not needed...Just cast out, reel in the slack and put your rod on the rail. Once all the slack is out, open the bail and place the line around a soda can. When the fish strikes, the can will fall over and wake you up! ;)

Works good for conventional reels but I like to put the clicker on...

Husky is still the leader in posts...the new software change kicked down his posts...

FL should pass me real soon...new job, house, etc. do not let me spend a whole lot of time here...

·
Registered
3,744 Posts
Well I said that the baitrunners are real good because it takes all the work out of it. Just cast it out and pull the switch. He's right though you don't need one but I would recommend it if that is the type of fishing you are going to be doing most. (Like me) Hey Anthony I am not sure about that. You know I have P&S blood running through my veins. I still have found time to catch some of them keepers you know. :p That's all right we will settle it at the tank and the charter!:D

·
Registered
823 Posts
SINGLE????????????????? i've forgot how single feels

1 - 9 of 9 Posts