Pier and Surf Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
251 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I might take a trip to sandbridge tomorrow to fish the surf. Just wondering what is the proper way to rig a live spot? I've tried cut bait a many times but I have never used one live.

Do you run it the same way one would rig a finger mullet? or do ya use two hooks?

·
Registered
1,826 Posts
Morning 1mo

I am not sure of the castability of such a bait. Anyway here's my take on live bait hooking.
The position of the hook will make the bait swim in different directions. If you hook it in the back (like Cobia Fishing form a boat) it will swim down. If you hook it in the tail it will swim away. In the head or chin it will not swim anywhere.

So, I guess the best position is in the chin, for the casting distance and swim direction.

·
Registered
2,263 Posts
If you're fishing for rockfish, trout, or flounder I would stick with one hook either through the nose or towards the tail. I have tried using two hooks before and just ended up with blues. Hope this helps.

·
Registered
251 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
coming from the angler of the month

any advice is well taken, I'm still searching for my first drum but I always hope to catch those rocks

·
Registered
189 Posts
Hooking live bait

We've always run the line thru a two ounce egg slip sinker and hooked either right in front of the top fin on a sandy bottom or through the bottom to the top jaw on a rocky bottom to keep him from swimming into the rocks. Slip sinker concentrates the weight for distance casting and allows bait to swim naturally until EATEN.........NATURALLY

·
Registered
107 Posts
on a fish finder rig id hook it through the nose for casting purposes and if i was just lobbing it out there or off the side of a boat or something like that id hook it through the back.

·
Registered
2,263 Posts
It depends on the species. If the fish are running large, I would go with 9/0-12/0. But if you're losing a lot of hook-ups, I would go smaller, such as 5/0. But then again I have caught 20 inch rockfish on 9/0 hooks.

·
Registered
4,222 Posts
hooking spot

For big fish, they just swallow the whole bait so, pretty much you can hook on anywhere on the bait for which makes easier for casting. If you have bigger bait.. use one hook on the front and one hook on the back... or even one hook on the stomach... better be safe than sorry...i have seen bluefish bit off half of a spot and not get hooked.. so.. just let the fish take the bait and run a little bit before setting hook... works for me..

Crawfish

1 - 11 of 11 Posts