Pier and Surf Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys. First time poster here and this is the first time I have found your site.

Born and raised in southeastern NC,Duplin/Pender county line to be exact and have been saltwater fishing since I was a kid but since I have become "older" have found my self obsessed with it.Anyway heading out to Oak-Island in Brunswick county tomorrow (April 5) and was wondering if fresh shrimp was available and if so do you think it would be worth it to try some surfishing?

Thinking maybe some mullet were out there and maybe some blues and maybe a drum cruising the surf.Pretty close to S Carolina so has to be the warmest water in NC.Just wondering if you think it's worth a try?

Thanks

·
Registered
1,193 Posts
Yea man, definately worth the try. Just got in from a day at Fort Fisher and there were fish around. Some black drum, mullet, and ocasional sharks. You should be able to pick up some fresh shrimp at any of the local bait and tackle shops on your way down. All but one of our fish were in really close today, like just past the white water.

·
Registered
157 Posts
I fished Ocean Crest Pier saturday and didn't see anyone using live shrimp. Sea mullet fron 3/4 to 1 lb were biting pretty well on fresh dead shrimp. It's good to see the new season starting off with some decent fish.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Fished OCP all day Sunday, the mullets were not biting very well until about 4:30 and bit heavily until dark. There were some large ones caught, good fillet sized. The bigger mullets were biting cut cob mullet but FRESH shrimp produced more. The creeks and davis canal are FULL of mullet both finger and cob there are live shrimp now but are really small. Did manage to catch a small flounder under the pier. Might want to give finger mullet a shot?

·
Registered
2,078 Posts
one way i find very effective for them in general is to use a gold hook with red bead. thread the hook through the shrimp tail(just like a jighead). the flashy fluttering piece of shrimp i nthe current is very attractive. most ppl jsut bottom fish for them, but it can be mroe effective if u cast out occastionally reel about a foot tio create puffs of sand and then let it sit for a coupel of minutes.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.