Pier and Surf Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
3,387 Posts
Live Lining Where. That is the first question. Different ways from different places. Some are more creative that others.

·
Registered
1,599 Posts
Get ahold of Manayunk Jake he'll set you up the right way,just invite him down. I hear he's a "Pro" on this subject,he usually hangs out at the Tank when the Rock are hitting. :D :D

·
Registered
4,457 Posts
Rod could be a surf rod or a baot rod. Reel could be spinning or casting. Might be nice to have a baitclicker.
Use a fishfinder rig--small plastic clip thing goes on your line allowing it to slide up and down your line. Attack leader and large hook to this.
Tie sinker to the end of the line.
Hook the spot or perch or whatever bait under the dorsal fin.
Drop into water. The fish will swim around until Jaws comes and swallows him. After you hear the baitclicker or just hear your line flying off the reel, wait a while (it will seem like an eternity) to let the fish flip the bait around in its mouth. Now set hook and reel it in.
What specific questions do you have? Axon and Fl Fisherman have had good success with this method.

·
Registered
3,745 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Just wanted to see some pics on how to do it. I guess I'm just going to have to tag along and learn from some of you guys.

Sounds like fun, sometimes fishing with high-lo can be tiresome. Time to learn a new trick... :)

·
Registered
1,237 Posts
Greetings John!

When I liveline, I try to use as little weight as possible, if any. Hook your spot through the back right behind the dorsal fin (Use a bronze 6/0 live bait or circle hook.) The hook is on a 4 to 5 foot leader of 50 lb test, and tied to your regular line using a good barrel swivel. If the tide is really ripping, or if the spot has a lot of energy, use a rubbercore sinker about 18 inches up from the hook to keep the bait off the top (although you can get some great hits on the top!) I carry an assortment from 1/4 to 1 oz, but usually a 1/2 oz will do it. I use a baitrunner reel, but you can leave your bail open on a regular soinning reel, using a rubberband to hold the line in front of the reel. With a conventional, put the reel in free spool with the clicker on. Drop the rig off the pier, and forget about it until you hear the run... With spot I use a five count before setting the hook, or a ten count for live eels. great for just about anything that swims in the bay....

1 - 9 of 9 Posts