Pier and Surf Forum banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
8,022 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Some help here, I keep trying to picture in my head what yall are talking about. Is it like pin rigging live bait for kings except you don't use a anchor rod? Splain please. Thanks. :D

·
Registered
3,141 Posts
Its like rigging for Drum(Fish finder rig) except your leader is about 24-36" and I like clickers for this style of fishing.You use a whole live Spot or a live White Perch w/ the dorsal fin cut.You put a 6/0-9/0 circle hook just below the dorsal fin any lower and you might kill your bait.

·
Registered
3,141 Posts
Yet, I do wonder if I could try the King rigging live fish for fall Stripers at Matapeake.When you King rig you use 2 rods for one bait one for the hook and one with the anchor line.?????????I wonder if it could work.?????????

·
Registered
3,744 Posts
Yup just a simple fish finder rig that you guys use for them big drum but we just use them off the pier straight down that way the fish can swim around a bit. And when they get eaten they take just the line instead of the weight too. Just in case they are smart and feel the weight as they take off and drop it. Most people buy baitrunners for this purpose but you can use any reel just set the clicker or lower your drag. Don't lower it too much because on the initial run you will have a nice little birds nest to deal with instead of the fish. Hope this helps. Tight lines my friend!

·
Registered
8,022 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
That makes sense

better than what I had pictured in my mind. :rolleyes:

HaPPyPapPy832443, it will work! I know people that were pin rigging spot at th CBBT and catching striper.

FL FISHERMAN, I gotta get up with you an Anthony for a fishing trip. That way you an Anthony can catch th fish an I'll take th pics.

:D

·
Registered
3,744 Posts
:D LOL Anytime you are up this way holla. I probably won't be back down your way till the beginning of next year. I plan on hitting the beach your way next summer for some cobia. Maybe you can show me a few tricks you got up your sleeve. Tight Lines!

·
Registered
2,263 Posts
It's weird that everyone says to hook spot near the dorsal fin. I have always hooked through the mouth with a lot of success. I just started hooking near the dorsal fin this year with little success, just a keeper at the first clean-up :D . Of course this hasn't been a good year for live-lining. I have found that rockfish and trout swallow the bait whole while blues bite the tails off. Flounder also swallow bait whole but it just takes them longer. Spot have a small groove right under their nose that I hook through, through the mouth and out b/w the nose. Mullet have hard mouths so no problem there, and menhaden I hook through the nostrils. Me and Jason were hooking our baits through the mouth with a lot of success. Does anyone else hook through the mouth?
-Anthony

·
Registered
3,744 Posts
Anthony that is the first time I have hooked them through the mouth in a long time. Normally when I hook through the mouth I go down the nostil out the mouth.(as you saw when we were there except I was going through the bottom lip also) The bait fish will actually live longer because they will be able to breathe this way. Of course it didn't matter last weekend b/c almost every fish we caught hit within the first 15 mins of being in the water.:D

·
Registered
129 Posts
I've heard of stripers attacking larger baitfish headfirst and smaller baitfish from the side and headfirst. Gotta let them close their mouths or they can't force water over their gills. A stinger keeps the blues from missing :)

·
Registered
4,325 Posts
Heads or tails...

Striped Bass take baitfish head first...
Blues go for the tail to wound their prey...

·
Registered
3,744 Posts
Sandcrab hit it on the head. One trick is when livelining you need to let the fish run for a few seconds before setting the hook because sometimes the rockfish will actually grab the bait by the side and run. After a few seconds it will stop spit it out and swallow it head first.

·
Registered
960 Posts
Here is what I have learned from live lining. Rock fish take the bait head first then turn it in their mouth as the bait get swallowed it is de-scaled.
When you are live lining and your line starts going out , STOP take a breath and wait sometime it is just the bait reacting to a predator in the area. When the monstor hits you normally have a quick burst then nothing and then another burst. Give the fish plenty of time to swallow the bait if you try to set the hook to soon it will be lost. Last year I pulled in a keeper at the tank and he wasn't even hooked, the bait was just jammed in his throat. Its so cool when you get home and cut that fish open and find you 5 inch spot whole in his stomach totally de-scaled.

we have also noticed that sometime it helps to jiggle the line a little and get you bait moving around.

Cdog

Me and FLF and Anthony should be down at the Ditch in Jan, we'll have to hook up.

·
Registered
2,263 Posts
I have found that rockfish usually have other things in their stomach besides the bait that was used to catch them. The ones I catch in OC usually have baby flounder in their stomach. A few years back I found 5 baby flounder ranging from 4-7 inches in a 30 inch rockfish!!! I told Jason about it and he was still shocked when he found some in the 28 inch rockfish he took home. Maybe that's why the rockfish that we caught in OC were so fat. It's weird that rockfish will pretty much eat anything they can get their mouths on when they are feeding for the winter.
-Anthony

·
Registered
8,022 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Axon, sounds good. Nothing much happening there now but I will continue to do some "scouting" for yall. :D

·
Registered
3,744 Posts
lol..... well if the only way the fish breathe is through them tiny nostrils then I would say they would definitely be hurting:D

·
Registered
129 Posts
They'll be able to breathe b/c they can close their mouth and force water over the gill membrane. Sure they'll be awefully congested w/ a hook through one of the nostrils;) but if they're not able to close their mouth completely the efficiency of exchange goes way down. I wouldn't find it hard to believe that this causes them to just vegetate instead of stir up a cow. Btw, fish breath through the mouth, not the nostril. I believe the nostril is used purely for scent pickup.

·
Registered
3,744 Posts
Thats a roger bitterchild. I think chuckles was just trying to mess with me.:p

1 - 20 of 33 Posts