Pier and Surf Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
when using live bait such as large minnows or eels or small spot where is the best place to hook them so that when you cast they wont fly off and what size hook should i use. :confused:

·
Registered
300 Posts
Not sure about the size of the hook, but I hear you hook the spots near the tail. Not first hand knowledge so better listen to the board pros for more.. :confused:

·
Registered
1,513 Posts
An oldtimer once told me for blues all ways hook spot in the tail because blues attack the tail first. So that's the way I hook mines and had good success too. When i go for trout, flounders, and rocks I hook the alewifes in the nose and liveline them on and sometimes near the bottom. This is only good if the blues are not around. I use a 2/0 tru turn hook [ealgle claw]. As far as casting I use only my spinning reels and lob cast with a soft touch and start feed out line . I hope this help :)

·
Registered
3,387 Posts
It really depends on what I'm fishing for. Eels in the tail about 25% from the tip. For Stripers out one eye and work them like a plug. That reminds me I need to get a couple.
For spot there are several ways I hook them and depends on the size and what I'm fishing for also how. On a bottom rig(fishfinder 90%) small through the nose, mid size in the lower portion of the tail(just back of the anal fin) or just in front of the dorsal(larger baits).
Minnows it almost always through the nose.
I hope this helps.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts