Pier and Surf Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
264 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone know if the little bridge next to lesner still has lots of mullet running in it? where i am talking about is north on shore drive about 1/2 maybe 3/4ths of a mile. last year there we lots and lots of mullet in it, and schools of shad. anyone know of anything like that up in hampton/newport news area.

shore

·
Registered
20 Posts
baitfish at petersons yacht basin

throwin my cast net at petersons at night on the boat ramp i caught loads of 3 to 4 inch mullet and lots of threadfin shad......that's in hampton

·
Registered
264 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
kewl, tyvm, any chance you can give me directions from 64? from newport news? any places over by langley afb?

oh yea, good news, monroe is opn to all military for fishing again, all 3 piers are down tho.

waaaaaa

·
Registered
20 Posts
directions to petersons

take mercury blvd. west off of I-64, exit 263 I think, then turn left onto aberdeen rd go under I-664 cross over RR tracks,aberdeen then turns into Buxton rd. stay straight on buxton then turn right onto Blair rd. and that runs staight into petersons yacht basin..... throw cast net directly onto boat ramps (as long as there are no boats launching) and catch loads of bait!:)

·
Administrator
5,774 Posts
If you can't get any in the creek on shore, try Crab Creek by the boat launch on Lynnhaven. But be forewarned: most of the mullet have cleared out.

Digger gave me some beauties last weekend (several of which were salted and vacuum-packed). Maybe you should stop in at D&M to see if they have any fresh cobs.

·
Registered
264 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
OK , I definatly need to hand it to you, I threw my cast net about 40 times, for prob no more than 30 min worth, and filled 3/4ths of a 5 gallon bucket full of mullet, no shad, all mullett, from 5 in to 12 in.

thanks, got 6 bags of them in the freezer now, gonna go again soon esp right before i fish next time.

shore

·
Registered
20 Posts
success!

Hey Shore,

I hope you were responding to my post, if you were, Keep this secret spot under your hat.....HA! and if so you'll have to let me barrow a bag or 2 of your frozen mullet when I hav'nt been as succesful on my next bait catchin expedition, I'm not sure that they stay up in there all year, but I hav'nt been skunked yet.

rocknreel

·
Registered
264 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
hey Rock, man o man, you forgot to mention that the only time they are there is when the water is moving, I went 2 nights later on my way to monroe, and only thing i caught was a 5 in shad, which ended up as cut bait, to fling in the water. didn't catch didly anyway.. but gonna try again prob tomorrow night, and try to get some live ones for the night...but we will see.

shore

·
Registered
264 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Any specific time that I should be looking for the mullet there? been skunked there 2x after the first night having a blow out, was hoping for some fresh stuff for this weekend.

thnks

·
Registered
20 Posts
best time

My best luck there was usually at night or in the wee hours of the morning when the big parking lot lights were on and not much boat traffic, as the little boogers spook quite easily and yes during a moving tide, incoming seemed to be better, but as sand flea says they may be moving out this time of year, on the other hand the weather hasn't changed a whole lot since late summer and early fall also there always seemed to be quite a few blue herons hangin around when the bait was in there good, and that was at night!:eek:

1 - 12 of 12 Posts