Pier and Surf Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
285 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
someone may have already asked this question but has anyone ever tried setting up a trolly rig off of any of the piers in Ocean City? Wonder what's out there to be caught if anything at all.

tight lines

Tim

·
Registered
7,081 Posts
Sharkbite....If you're talking about live lining with a fish finder rig sure it's done. Spot are live lined for trout in the back bay all the time. Here's a link to Sue Foster where you can find tips on fishing Ocean City. web page. Hope this helps.

Catman.

·
Registered
285 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
it's a little different than live lineing using a fishfinder rig. It requires two rods (anchor rod and a fighting rod) the anchor rod is cast out as far away from the pier as you can get it and pulled tight and put up in a rod holder. Then your fighting rod (usualy no less then a 4/0) has a live bait rig attached to it. Then you attach the live bait rig to your fighting line using a clothespin or some other type of release. This slides down the line of your anchor rod and hold your bait up close to the top of the water. King mackerel look upwards when they are swimming so keeping your bait close to the top allows them to see it as they pass by.

Not sure if there are even any king macks up that far but i guess it wouldn't hurt trying it out. Worse thing that could happen is you hook up with a big shark.

Tight Lines

Tim

·
Registered
285 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I take it from the lack of replies nobody has tried it :) guess i'll have to give it a try next time i'm up that way.

Tight lines!

Tim

·
Registered
7,081 Posts
We don't use it up here but down around Point Lookout they use it for drum fishing. Seems I read a post last year about guys doing it from the pier. Maybe some of the folks down there can respond.:)

Catman.:)

·
Registered
472 Posts
King Rigs

Kingfish or Trolley Rigs are very popular on the OBX piers. The beaches slope very gently down there, and these rigs help present a live bait to it's best advantage.

The Spanish Mackerel and Blues are hard on your baits, and not very sporting on a 30# trolling outfit, but the occasional Kingfish, Cobia or in my case last year, 9' Hammerhead, will get the blood pumping.

I personally think that Maryland and Delaware coastal anglers are missing a real thrill, when they ignore the mighty Cobia.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts