Pier and Surf Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

· Registered
1,057 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The wife and I headed over to Little Tybee for a full day of surf fishing. Woo Hoo ya'll what a wonderful day it was with perfect weather and good fishing. Surf conditions were spectacular................

[/URL]

While I was chasing the glory fish the wife stayed very busy catching groceries.....................
[/URL]

Her best catch of the day was this fat slot Red, a tournament winner at 22 15/16..........................................
[/URL]

She caught fish until she was pooped. My baby really knows how to catch groceries. She had many doubles and triples. All the eating sized Whiting you wanted and then some. Even landed a few eating sized Pompano. All so she landed Bluefish, Weakfish, Rays, and a large Sailcat. I don't think she ever reeled in without a fish on.
[/URL]

I had a great trip over in the wilderness. I had toothy critters on my mind and I was not let down.......................
A cute little Blacktip
[/URL]

My first of the year Lemon Shark......................
[/URL]

And finally, after going 0 for 3 so far this year with big toothies, I landed this healthy Blacktip, I guess this fish has a taste for Stingrays, notice the spine stuck in this fishes head..........................
[/URL]
This Blacktip broke water a few times and made for a decent fight. Big fun and always exciting!

Went beach walking and discovered this poor fellow, from the amount of barnacles on his back I'd say it had a long life.....................
[/URL]

· Registered
281 Posts
Wow nice catch, very jealous of that red. My mission this year is a bull red. It's been too long since I've had the fight on the end of the line.

I think I might have to figure out how to get the rods in the kayak and head out there next weekend.

· Registered
194 Posts
Looks like a great day. Can't wait to get back to surf fishing. My kids and I caught one of those catfish last summer at night. First time I ever caught one. Needless to say I was very surprised. I'm used to catching freshwater cats, and we shined the headlamps on it and we were "what the heck is that" LOL. Good times.

· Registered
1,057 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Man!!! Wore them out didn't ya!!!! Question for ya, I see you were catching 3 at a time. Do you tie your own rigs that way? I like the idea of 3.
Yes, all my rigs are hand tied or hand made. Store bought rigs are junk and are designed to catch fishermen not fish. Yes, it's a three hook rig, my standard double dropper rig with a cheater snood added to my Gemini surf anchor. Works great.

· Registered
1,057 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Wow nice catch, very jealous of that red. My mission this year is a bull red. It's been too long since I've had the fight on the end of the line.

I think I might have to figure out how to get the rods in the kayak and head out there next weekend.
The big Reds are around right now but are spread out and not in big numbers. They will be much harder to catch as water temps riseand will be outa here by the end of the month. Wait till October and it will be hard not to land a Bull Red, plan for the middle of the month depending on conditions.
Kayak trip, roger that, been there done that, get away from the crowds. Good spots just across the creek. I advise using the the tide to your advantage, go out on the outgoing and in on the incoming, currents can get fast in that area. I've landed many big ones from there.

· Registered
1,057 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Nice catches. If you ever fish around the East coast of FL at night you'll be lucky if you don't catch a catfish! Things are like a plague.
Here in my area we used to catch bunches of them but that was a decade or more ago. This is the first one I've landed in years and everyone in the area has reported similar results. Nobody knows why they have been so scarce, but glad to see them even if they are a nuisance.

· Registered
281 Posts
I'd say I hope the fishing is at least half as good there this weekend but I'm not going to lie, I'll be happy even if I don't catch anything. Having had only one day off in the last two months I have this whole weekend off! Since its calling for storms Friday night and I still have rigs to tie I'm going to head out in the kayak on Sat and camp out till Sun. The dog's going to his girlfriends house and the phone will be off. Just me, the fish and the 2 million sand nats per square foot. With the work, family and friends drama running at flood levels my soul needs the recharge that can only be achieved by waking up on a deserted beach with nothing to do but fish and relax.

I'll take pics and post a report even if I don't catch anything. Was too busy to even get in the kayak last year so it's been two years since I've been out to Little Tybee, unfortunately it's not "unknown" anymore but I don't have time to scout out the other hammocks around here right now.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.