Pier and Surf Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Last April in pursuit of our family's goal of building a family farm and homestead my wife and I Moved moved our selves, two boys, dog and cat to Hertford NC. We crash landed on the bank of little river in NewHope. Before we moved here we lived in Newnan Ga. While in Ga we fished the mountains for trout, creeks for bream, and the lakes for everything from monster cats to striper.

Those days are now in the past and I now find myself standing front of this "Little River" throwing random lures and trying different things trying to learn this fishery.

My wife kids and I have all managed to catch a few fish. A couple hand sized founder .

A few Puppy Drum.

Around late may last year we landed a few Trophy perch from under the piers in our little community here on little river. unfortunately I don't have any pictures of them.

Rattle traps, Random Swimbaits, Berkley swimming mullet, beetle spins, and a couple of crank baits have all produced meager amounts of fish. However for being here for a year I haven't spent a whole lot of time on the river and not nearly as much as id like wetting hooks in it.

I'm starting to put together a tackle kit geared specifically to this area. So if any one has any advice it would be greatly appreciated. Also Any advice on what I should be looking for in the river at different times of year would be most helpful.

Currently we predominately fish from shore, pier, and canoe. Once the water and the days warm up. I will do a little more wadding . A decent pair of waders for the cooler seasons are on my shopping list as this river has a lot of great fishing that can be done by wading.

I appreciate any and all advice look forward to discussing this fishery with you all.

·
Registered
1,177 Posts
Live bait. Get a minnow trap and a crab pot. Either bait the crab pot with chicken neck or the minnow pot with cat food to start. Crushed crab makes great minnow bait. Drift one minnow on a Carolina rig and one under a cork around oyster beds, grass lines, and channels. Use the fish guts and scrapes to rebait the pot and trap. ... if your boys turn into river rats you'll have never ending seafood dinners.... flounder and pups also like sammiches cut a strip of squid half inch wide-ish and about 2 to 3 inch long-ish and put it on the hook before the live minnow.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Benji thanks for the advice, Gee minnow trap is under a pier with a little cat food in it and i'm looking for a few decent blue crab pots. oh how I hope my boys take to the river.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
The Cat Foid my wife buys for our cats , didn’t produce any minnows after a twenty four hour soak . So I threw a little bacon and Pita bread in The minnow trap I’ll check it tomorrow morning.

·
Registered
29 Posts
You are in a great location for all inshore species: trout, redfish, flounder, and striper. I would throw a swimming mullet like a Bass Assassin or Z-Man MinnowZ on a 1/4 oz jig head. I would also use Mirrorlures for the trout and redfish. From shore, you should be able to get on plenty of catfish and perch as well. You get the best of both freshwater and saltwater species there. Fresh shrimp under a popping cork works, fresh shrimp in general works on all the fish I have mentioned.

·
Registered
140 Posts
You are really in a great panfish area as well. Small crappie jigs with charlie brewer crappie sliders and a little herring procure will go a long way. Get some bettlespins as well. Tip with shrimp and you should slay the white perch. There are also some monster yellow perch up that way.

Get your boys a small jon boat when they are old enough and you will never see them.

·
Registered
49 Posts
If I owned a place like that, I’d create some structure out in the water right off my property’s shoreline to draw fish: rocks, humps, dips, logs, etc.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts